Nearly Xmas - sub £30 'essentials' for the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
That time of the year again :( when one is confronted with that question 'what d'ya want for xmas?
seeing as i have no life and no other interests apart from shed dwelling :D and associated activities within, any suggestions for pressies? You know the kind of thing, those little things you don't realise you need till you find out they exist? or essential turny tools, bits and pieces for less than 20 -30 quid that we can suggest to our loved ones in answer to the annual question?

Iv'e asked for a new cordless screwdriver, my old one only holds charge for a few minutes now.

I'd also like a other jacobs chuck, but with a thread rather than morse taper this time.

Hi Nev

In answer to the same question, I gave someone the Stiles and Bates website and suggested they get me some nice bits of wood. You could try that with any other similar website I guess. They could then spend however much they want to - and there's really nothing they could choose which wouldn't be welcome, so you don't have to 'steer' them to an exact item.

I know it's not that adventurous, but Axminster do vouchers if any of your family and friends are really stuck what to get you...

Otherwise it depends on what you already have, of course. But working on the assumption that presents are a good opportunity to get something you wouldn't normally buy yourself how about...

* A Chestnut product you have never tried before?
* A completely superfluous but fun-to-have Crown captive ring tool?
* A Henry Taylor decorating elf to try out texturing?
* A decent spare pair of dividers so you can have one permanently set to the radius of your chuck?
* A longer tool rest?
* A ring tool?
* A fancy centre marker?

Or there's always just the essential consumables - I'm sure you would be happy to get a big bottle of friction polish, or a couple of packets of Richard Findlay's sandpaper.

Elf, cost far too much for what they are in my opinion,

Decorating Elf clones can be made by purchasing a short phosphor bronze bar, drilling to 3.2( or the larger 4.8 ) mm, turning, adding a handle and using dremil bits,

Bronze bar can be got for a fiver.

graphite grease as a lube. is dead cheap ( if you have any guns you might already have some )

loz":3ijycy2v said:
a short phosphor bronze bar, drilling to 3.2( or the larger 4.8 ) mm, turning, adding a handle and using dremil bits

Bit difficult to write that on a Christmas list though.

drillbit":fld1jgnl said:
loz":fld1jgnl said:
a short phosphor bronze bar, drilling to 3.2( or the larger 4.8 ) mm, turning, adding a handle and using dremil bits

Bit difficult to write that on a Christmas list though.

:D

Yes - probably best kept for the club chriskindle !!!

Hi Loz,
I made my own Elf using a pair of 1/8" bore bearings mounted in a 1/2" brass bar more like the original....

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Bearings/Ball-Bearings/Ball-Bearings---Imperial

If you can get an 8mm magnet with a hole in it (Axminster) it can go between the bearings like the original or an 8mm magnet in the bottom of the hole with beraings on top to retain the cutter (need a small separator between the bearings with this set up).

The brass bar can then be shaped and burred over with a HSS bar or back of a gouge (metal turning?) to retain the bearings and magnets in the rod.

I think it's tough to beat the real Elf cutters which are reasonably cheap IMHO. To reinforce the point, Les Thorne was demoing at Harrogate using them in a Dremel because they are better than any others for texturing.

HTH
Jon

Hi Jon,

Yours does sound cool, but I think is over complex in build, ( unless you like that kind of thing ) If you drill a hole in phosphor bronze, it self becomes the bearing., no need for a bigger hole containing smaller bearings.

Back on topic however I would like to add a couple of pen bushes to my list, i id fancy a look at one of those mandrel saver systems.

Hi Nev,
How about a new Sorby toolrest (stem + crossbar) for your lathe?
or
One or two Sorby cutters, a set of M5 taps, a 4.2mm tapping drill bit, some 12mm rolled steel bar from Homebase/B&Q, some 22mm Yorkshire straight pipe connectors (ferrules) and a piece of ash for a handle.

Loz,
I do like that kind of thing ;-)

Jon

chipmunk":25nai199 said:
Hi Loz,
I made my own Elf using a pair of 1/8" bore bearings mounted in a 1/2" brass bar more like the original....

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Bearings/Ball-Bearings/Ball-Bearings---Imperial

If you can get an 8mm magnet with a hole in it (Axminster) it can go between the bearings like the original or an 8mm magnet in the bottom of the hole with beraings on top to retain the cutter (need a small separator between the bearings with this set up).

The brass bar can then be shaped and burred over with a HSS bar or back of a gouge (metal turning?) to retain the bearings and magnets in the rod.

I think it's tough to beat the real Elf cutters which are reasonably cheap IMHO. To reinforce the point, Les Thorne was demoing at Harrogate using them in a Dremel because they are better than any others for texturing.

HTH
Jon

agreed - the cutters are good, and I haven't seen any viable alternatives to do what they do for texture work. In a dremel I find there are TCT cutters that work well (I have a set from good old arceurotrade :D ) but there are doing different things and are pretty useless in an Elf!

the issue of 'shop made' v bought is a very wide one; if you can tack the components you list to existing orders, and the tools to undertake any tooling, then the enjoyment in a completed project is also significant

DVD's and books are top of my list. There are plenty of both about at the moment, including some very recent turning books. Nice and easy to buy online and easy to give Santa a list from which he can choose.

Ian

I've got DVD's from Glenn lucas and Cindy Drozda on my list, can't wait till everybody else is sleeping after my behemoth Christmas lunch!

Latest posts

Back