Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a rule to be brought in that cyclists have to stop at red traffic lights (at present it seems red to cyclists means just ride through them) I'd like that.
I don't think that cyclist have to obey the highway code, they don't need insurance or road tax and have no MOT's, they certainly believe they own the roads and that everyone else just gets in their way.

Perhaps these new rules were created by someone who really hates cyclist because it is certainly going to thin them out. As the new electric bikes become more common then is it not time to class them as a motorised vehicle, now they will need insurance and have to obey the highway code and maybe a driving test.

I don't think that cyclist have to obey the highway code, they don't need insurance or road tax and have no MOT's, they certainly believe they own the roads and that everyone else just gets in their way.

Perhaps these new rules were created by someone who really hates cyclist because it is certainly going to thin them out. As the new electric bikes become more common then is it not time to class them as a motorised vehicle, now they will need insurance and have to obey the highway code and maybe a driving test.
Cyclists like everyone else do have to follow the highway code in its majority. Although there are some aspects that suggest, the difference being either 'You MUST' or 'You SHOULD' being the only grey area.

Seems to be a bit of a cycling hot spot around my village, over just the last few weeks I have witnessed the following.

Followed 2 bikes along the winding roads for about 2 miles, about 6 cars behind me. Finally got to a spot where it was safe to overtake just before a small single file bridge with traffic lights on. The lights were on red so all the cars stopped, the cyclists proceeded to overtake all the cars and sit at the front of the lights, had to follow them for about another 2 miles before another suitable overtaking spot :mad:

Followed a group of about 12 blokes who seemed to know what they were doing as they were really shifting. All went wrong when the two at the front turned left down a sideroad, the rest must not have realised they were turning as the next two ran into them, domino effect leading to a big pile of people and bikes in the middle of the road :rolleyes:

Followed 8 larger ladies who looked like they had never ridden bikes before, they were all over the place. The front two turned right straight across the oncoming traffic, the next two followed them but then thought about it and ending up stopping in the middle of the wrong side of the road, an oncoming car had to brake really hard to avoid them. One of the ladies seemed to forget to put her feet down when she stopped and just fell sideways. Much drama ensued as they all picked her up 🤨

I have nothing against cyclists who know what they are doing but there are a lot out there who would be better off getting a different hobby.

Quite frankly, you'd be daft to ride a bike which wasn't roadworthy or not have insurance. As for road tax, it doesn't exist, and that just shows your lack of knowledge.

The lights were on red so all the cars stopped, the cyclists proceeded to overtake all the cars and sit at the front of the lights, had to follow them for about another 2 miles before another suitable overtaking spot
Thats not something i would do, although it is in the highway code. I prefer to either stay in lane or in that scenario happily sit at the back knowing its going to end up in the same thing with the traffic waiting for an overtake spot.
Clearly you were faced with a couple of entitled idiots.
Followed 8 larger ladies who looked like they had never ridden bikes before, they were all over the place. The front two turned right straight across the oncoming traffic, the next two followed them but then thought about it and ending up stopping in the middle of the wrong side of the road, an oncoming car had to brake really hard to avoid them. One of the ladies seemed to forget to put her feet down when she stopped and just fell sideways. Much drama ensued as they all picked her up
Unfortunately there are a greater amount of cyclist s on the road today who clearly haven't a clue, nor the brains to think through their situation.
Crossing over oncoming traffic is the exact same as a car or anything doing it. Its just a matter of timing and making sure there's A. enough space between cars to get around safely, and B. the road ahead is clear so you arent forced into an emergency stop , relying then on the oncoming vehicle to take action itself.
But that said, vehicles like cars and especially taxis do cross oncoming and its not clear ahead, and if it causing the oncoming traffic to slow to a stop, nobody should be getting hot under the collar because of it. Patience is as they say a virtue.

Last edited:
Utter nonsense, and I'd have thought you a bit more sensible to be spouting such.
We all pay for the roads everyone. It's taken from general taxation.
Saying its from 'vehicle excise duty' is a strawman argument.

So let's do a bit of "apportioning"
Cars alone kill an average of 3 cyclists per week here int he UK, and injures about 20
And as to who causes the damage to the roads, as well as life and limb,its the car that holds the record.

Cyclists produce little to no pollution, and well I think we al know the biggest culprits there.

But please continue with your little tantrum

2 abreast is pretty much the equivalent width of a car, or if slightly wider, then a truck or a bus.
So why not blame buses or trucks for a build up of traffic. OR even ask yourself why it isnt safe to overtake. Could it possibly be that the high proportion of other cars,buses and trucks on the road are preventing it ?.
And since when do we see huge lines of build up traffic caught up behind buses ?, well obviously we dont. Drivers behind pick a safe time and overtake, and having 2 cyclists riding abreast is exactly the same. To be the equivalent of a bus you would need a group of 10 cyclists, and how often do we see groups of ten cyclists riding along city streets ?, yet again obviously we dont, so you are referring to a rare occurrence out on country roads, and not something that happens every day.

Really :confused: I thought intelligent people used these boards, but im now beginning to wonder
Buses don't generally puddle along at 15-20mph. Tractors doing 30mph generally have the courtesy to pull over and let the traffic past.

We get groups of 20-30 out regularly slowing down traffic on the a65....

I am a roadie myself but some do go out of there way to wind up drivers!

Last edited:
...Those who pollute the most and take up an unfair amount of space by driving metal boxes, should be classed as the lowest form of road/pavement user.

I agree. And you haven't mentioned NHS costs to treat obesity in those who drive everywhere instead of exercising.

Cheers, Vann.

In these difficult times it seems we should all be helping to keep the treasury topped up and I hadn’t realised till Triton pointed it out that apart from a bit of vat on new purchases cyclists don’t contribute at all. Now it wouldn’t be fair to tax children or people who need a bike to get to work or to the shops but I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to focus on the racing fraternity- who can obviously afford it from the way they spend - a Lycra tax? Or something more specific, how about those shoes with the cleats on.

And since when do we see huge lines of build up traffic caught up behind buses ?, well obviously we dont. Drivers behind pick a safe time and overtake, and having 2 cyclists riding abreast is exactly the same.

No it isn't the same, buses stop/pull over to let passengers on/off. When was the last time cyclists did the same?

Why are cyclist vs driver conversations always so argumentative. It’s a shared space where we should treat each other with respect. Both sides have their fair share of twits who wind others up with a lack consideration. But drivers wind each other up, just watch the dodgy driver videos, as do cyclists. I like to shout at my fellow cyclists who ignore red lights, as it gives drivers ammunition to aim at me even if I’m considerate.

I thinks it’s a tribal thing and also a very British thing, we see cyclists as queue jumpers and that’s just not cricket!

Back