Nearly got scammed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this advert in Farmers Ads

http://www.farmingads.co.uk/cars-land-r ... 60720.html

Very good price. In fact an exceedingly good price. Cutting a long story short....the c*nt's last email said this

Hi again,
You are right, I bought this car in July and I've changed the number plate. The log book is in my name.
Before leaving I had prearranged shipping and payment with PayPal (the most secure way to pay and get paid) so my presence isn't necessary. The car is at our Headquarters from Grantham, Lincolnshire. The Logistic Department will deliver the car to your home. The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. Since I work with the Army the delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.
Here is what I suggest: we will use PayPal services, you'll make the payment in a PayPal managed account trust fund (they'll hold the money until you'll receive the car ), I will send the car over( the car will be delivered with the owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me),I will offer a 5 days period from the day you'll receive the car , you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, drive it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to PayPal the sale and they will send the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it (I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked.Please note, that the return of my car will be made, only after you will get your money back. I think this is more than fair for the both of us.
The payment is refundable, and is just a security measure, to make sure that the buyer is serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and loose time and money. Your payment is 100% covered, because I have open a Trust Account with PayPal and if something goes wrong, you will get a full refund from my account. If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name, phone # and shipping address so I can ask PayPal to open a case! After that, they will contact you explaining all the details regarding the payment.
I'm looking forward to hear from you.
Martin

Sgt. Martin Jack Huey
165 Port and Maritime Regiment RLC
[email protected]

So I Googled PayPal Trust account and came up with this thread on Scamwarners.com

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewto ... 01#p129901

The thread contains posts from other people being offered other vehicles and the end 'offer' being verbatim what I got.

So be warned, people. If it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.

They actually do exist ! He has quite a lot of vehicles for sale across the various car sale sites.

Getting a decent motor is proving problematic. Just reinforced to me what a tacky dirty grubby world the Used Car Sales world is.

It sounds dodgy but ebay is always worth a look for cars. I just restrict my search to within 50 miles for most stuff but for cars I ignore Cornwall as cars are more expensive here. I just go and look at it before bidding so it's the same as buying elsewhere without the haggling.

Elapid":8dowumeq said:
It sounds dodgy but ebay is always worth a look for cars. I just restrict my search to within 50 miles for most stuff but for cars I ignore Cornwall as cars are more expensive here. I just go and look at it before bidding so it's the same as buying elsewhere without the haggling.

Nope...found a scammer on there as well.

RogerS":3pa754m4 said:
So be warned, people. If it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.

Roger, of all the quotes and sayings that I've come across this is definately the 100% accurate one. I heard on Radio 4 yesterday that a very wealthy man has just admitted he was 'sucked into' a banking scam recently, guess how much he has lost :?: --------Yes £12 million, must have been exceedingly wealthy, not now 'tho.

Personally I do wonder why people use Pay Pal, I suppose it has it's uses but to be honest I've reached the point in life where if I can't see it and touch it I just don't believe it, there's far too many scumbags around. It does help that there's not much that I NEED nowadays so all these internet scams don't really catch my eye any more :lol: :lol: :lol:

interesting point here - if it is a scam, and i agree it looks like it is, then he is also impersonating a member of the armed forces, which I'm pretty sure is a criminal offence.
Did a quick check on Google, and the contact info for them is;

Contact us
Telephone: 0800 587 6585
Email:
Regimental Headquarters
165 Port and Maritime Regt RLC(V)
Prince William of Gloucester Bks
Grantham, NG31 7TJ

So simple way to find out if this is a scam - call them, ask to speak to Sgt Huey, and find out if he exists,,,,,

If he doesnt, then they may be interested to find they are being implicated in a scam..

Back