Naughty Drivers Beware in Hants

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":2eiukgkn said:
Chems,

A motor vehicle when being driven normally, is at its most unstable whenever it alters course or speed.

Thus, remaining in the nearside lane on British Motorways, travelling at 70mph, means you are constantly having to move out into the centre lane, (which is then your 'overtaking lane') to pass slower moving traffic. Because of this, your car is going to be altering course and/or speed most of the time. It's a pain.

I fully agree with this, for what you said and also because whilst with the FS the only fatalities I saw on the motorway always involved a HGV and they live in lane 1. Normally a car between 2 HGVs was the killer, car into back of HGV was also bad, car on car on the motorway, never saw any killed so I always try an avoid the HGVs.

But what I'm talking about is that when I go between Nottingham and Northampton I go late at night like after 11pm, there aren't any/many lorries on the road then, theres no excuse for not going in, on some nights I pull on at 25 in lane 1 and stay there until the gap. Having to do the triple lane move because someone is lazy :evil:

Hi Chems,

Ah yes.. Well I know of what you speak.
I have my own ideas about HGVs and Motorways, but it's too late now to alter anything. It makes my blood boil, when I see acres of container bases and huge warehouses, unused and adjacent to our larger cities. Close to canals, and of course railways. These places could be stocked with non-perishable goods, and delivered to the stores by local smaller trucks. That would free up the motorways no end.

HGV's and holiday makers don't mix. On "La Continente" (France anyway!) they don't allow HGV's to use the motorways at weekends or on Public Holidays. Why wouldn't that work here? No reason other than we all want our new tellies yesterday!

I do appreciate your frustration on empty motorways too of course!

John the Plod. :)

If someone is travelling at 70mph in the centre lane what is the problem, anyone should not be overtaking them, 70 is the limit isnt it? :mrgreen:

Its the under 70's that irk me.

devonwoody":qhe37k9b said:
If someone is travelling at 70mph in the centre lane what is the problem, anyone should not be overtaking them, 70 is the limit isnt it? :mrgreen:

Precisely Woody.
As they say in Devon.
Cheers Moi Luvverrrr! :lol:

John

devonwoody":19dxuf0q said:
If someone is travelling at 70mph in the centre lane...
At the moment DW :wink: ...and I agree with John's comments posted previously. I was waiting for my lift this morning and a noticed a Polo coming twoards me driven by a young lady. The vehicle was slowing up in the traffic and she was looking down whilst driving. I stepped nearer the kerb and glared at her as she went past...she clearly saw me and offered a very sheepish and apologetic, lop sided grin as she went past. In her right hand?...yup, an iPhone - Rob

woodbloke":3259a56e said:
devonwoody":3259a56e said:
If someone is travelling at 70mph in the centre lane...
At the moment DW :wink: ...and I agree with John's comments posted previously. I was waiting for my lift this morning and a noticed a Polo coming twoards me driven by a young lady. The vehicle was slowing up in the traffic and she was looking down whilst driving. I stepped nearer the kerb and glared at her as she went past...she clearly saw me and offered a very sheepish and apologetic, lop sided grin as she went past. In her right hand?...yup, an iPhone - Rob

You're lucky Rob. The ones I see, usually don't even notice me; and it's up to me to cancel out their errors. I suppose if it did cause me to have a bump with one of them, I'd be accused of being a silly old duffer who shouldn't be allowed within half a mile of a car! :D
reminds me.. I mustn't forget to renew my licence next year! :lol:

John :)

devonwoody":2fphrpjt said:

I don't agree at all with this view. This text is taken from an official website..

When driving along motorways always remain in the left lane unless you are travelling faster than traffic ahead of you and it is safe to move over to the right lanes. If you use these lanes you must return to the left lane as soon as it is safe to do so.

It is bad practice to try and stay in the overtaking lanes for normal driving. This annoys other users because they can see that you are avoiding the empty lanes on the left, or never using your mirrors to see the tailbacks that you are causing. Remember the two-second rule. Four seconds will give you time to react easily and you will be more relaxed.

Note the plural in overtaking laneS. It's not your job to enforce the speed limit. By selfishly hogging the middle overtaking lane ...even though you might be doing 70mph...you are forcing those who are breaking the speed limit into just the one lane. And so if they have an accident then you are just as much to blame.

Back