Naughty Drivers Beware in Hants

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Er no, you listening to it or a quick glance as you would look at any of your instruments - speedo etc.

Better than looking at a map or reading directions from bits of paper?

Rod

I don't know how old you are Rod but as you age the time taken for your eyes to change focus from staring down the road to focusing on the instruments then back to staring down the road lengthens.
By 65/70 I've seen it stated that the whole cycle can take 3 seconds.
At 60mph that that is close to 100yds! Plus thinking and braking time of course.

Roy.

So are you suggesting you should never check your speed by looking at the Speedo?
Could be a good excuse if ever you get done for speeding? 
As I said they talk to you.

Rod

No Rod, I am not suggesting that at all, neither was i explicitly referring to sat navs.
I was pointing out that anything that distracts from road watching is a hazard!
I was further pointing out that any such becomes more of a hazard as you age!

Roy.

I have one camera fitted to my motorcycle.. gonna fit another soon so it captures anything from behind..

not only does it make for a great show of things... like when I had a near miss with 2 deer jumping one infront of me.. and then one over my head... but it also provides evidence that I am not riding my motorcycle like a twit.. I had a accident and the lady denied it.... but given the video evidence to the police she then fessed up and was complient.. all damnages paid for in cash and very quickly.

Digit":1vu8td99 said:
I was pointing out that anything that distracts from road watching is a hazard!
I was further pointing out that any such becomes more of a hazard as you age!

Roy.
...and has it ever

mini-skirts-then-now-18.jpg

been thus Roy? :lol: :lol: - Rob

Your photograph Woodbloke reminds me of a true incident I witnessed.

I was stationary at some red traffic lights and a lady such as your r/h picture was attempting to seduce a youth, around 18, who was sucking a lollipop and bemused by the lady's antics of legs apart.

My wife was in the passenger seat and we exchanged some words regarding my advanced age. :mrgreen:

Tell me about it Rob! I slammed my car into the back of the foreman's one day 'cos of that!
Happy days!

Roy.

devonwoody":3paqrblf said:
Your photograph Woodbloke reminds me of a true incident I witnessed.

I was stationary at some red traffic lights and a lady such as your r/h picture was attempting to seduce a youth, around 18, who was sucking a lollipop and bemused by the lady's antics of legs apart.

My wife was in the passenger seat and we exchanged some words regarding my advanced age. :mrgreen:

Is that how you got your username, dw ? :D

Jonz, that actually happened to me, (a previous life I had my own taxi for ten years)

The lady passenger had climbed over to the front passenger seat from the rear of my taxi and it happened.

I was in a oneway street at the time and a Jaguar pulled up along side me at a red traffic light and when we pulled away at green he stalled his Jag.

I recall I had a problem getting payment for my fare. :wink:

Chems":o1celra7 said:
What I'd love is if the police had a cow catcher attached to a lorry and just went about shunting the middle lane hoggers over.

Chems, and houtslager

Could you define 'Middle-lane hogger' please?

Probably your definition agrees with mine; especially if you can describe the conditions under which a moving vehicle is at its most unstable?

Cheers
John 8)

What they need to do is make the law tougher.

If you are caught speeding 6 points and £1000 fine, if you are caught again 1 year ban and £2000 fine and have to retake driving test.

Mobile phone use the same.

Drink driving automatic ban for 5 years and £10,000 fine and have to retake driving test.

If you are caught driving when banned 1 year in prison.

If you say I need my car for my job 10 year ban for being stupid in the first place.

And make all Sat Navs voice only, as having a tv set fastened to your windscreen is a stupid idea.

Tom

jonrms":2z2w3mgd said:
I have one camera fitted to my motorcycle.. gonna fit another soon so it captures anything from behind..

not only does it make for a great show of things... like when I had a near miss with 2 deer jumping one infront of me.. and then one over my head... but it also provides evidence that I am not riding my motorcycle like a twit.. I had a accident and the lady denied it.... but given the video evidence to the police she then fessed up and was complient.. all damnages paid for in cash and very quickly.

What camera do you have? I have thought about it a few times.

Mobile phones - I really hate pineapples driving car who actually turn around to look the front seat passenger in the eye\face when talking to them.

Dibs

Benchwayze":34ox252x said:
Chems":34ox252x said:
What I'd love is if the police had a cow catcher attached to a lorry and just went about shunting the middle lane hoggers over.

Chems, and houtslager

Could you define 'Middle-lane hogger' please?

Probably your definition agrees with mine; especially if you can describe the conditions under which a moving vehicle is at its most unstable?

Cheers
John 8)

I just mean you know when your going along at a low peak time, cruising at 70+ in lane 1 and then you are faced with having to make a 3 lane move and back or undertake just because someone can't be bothered to pull into the middle lane on an empty motorway.

A moving vehicles is at is most unstable when the drive has lost control and is currently flipping through the air end over end. :roll:

Chems,

A motor vehicle when being driven normally, is at its most unstable whenever it alters course or speed.

Thus, remaining in the nearside lane on British Motorways, travelling at 70mph, means you are constantly having to move out into the centre lane, (which is then your 'overtaking lane') to pass slower moving traffic. Because of this, your car is going to be altering course and/or speed most of the time. It's a pain.

If you are travelling at 70 mph in the centre-lane, then more often than not, you are overtaking someone anyhow. Anyone who wishes to pass you, may do so at their own risk, by using the outside 'passing-lane'. If they wish to break the law, that's their prerogative. So whenever possible, on a motorway, I stay in either of the two nearside lanes. That's not to say I don't take notice of what's going on around me, in case I need to alter lane, either way.

Bad motorway driving is weaving from lane to lane, without signalling, just so a driver can keep at 70mph (Usually faster). Such drivers usually call the lanes 'slow', 'middle' and 'fast'!

I like driving on Motorways. it takes skill and attention. The only problem is I miss my 'Blues and Twos'! :wink:

I agree with heavier punishments for speeding, but these days it is all to easy to get 'snicked' by cameras, when you are exceeding by a couple of miles an hour, and £1,000 is a bit heavy for those kinds of offenders. The old rule was for a police car follow for two tenths of a mile, in order to establish the offence, then having regard to the use, and conditions of the road at the time, decide on whether or not to prosecute or caution. Under those circumstances, the 100 mph plus lunatics always got what hey deserved.

As for using phones whilst driving. It should mean an automatic five year ban, £1,000 fine and a re-test. No arguments.
Drink driving? First offence, automatic two years prison, no time off. Five year ban and a re-test. Get caught again. Lifetime ban and another five years inside, plus a fine.

Sorry to ramble on... I am anti-drink and drive. :evil:

John

Latest posts

Back