Natural dyes????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
I am in the final stages of making a chess board/box and intend to glue a beading around the base of the box, but the beading I have is far too light/white for the project.
I would ideally want the bead to be a walnut(ish) colour, but dont have any dye that would do the job and was wondering if anyone had tried any natural/homemade dyes, such as coffee, tea, turmeric etc???.
I am aware that the above ingredients can be used to dye timber, but was wondering how they perform and am interested as to how they react to a final finish of a varnish (water based or other).
Is there a possibility of mould or similar devoping when using said treatments?
Apologies if I appear naive, but this concept is new to me, but also intrigues.

I am currently steeping some coffee in anticipataion :)

Many thanks in advance

Si

Of course natural dyes work and were the only option for thousands of years, so are still in use.
However if you are going to the work and expense of making something, why risk Cucumbering it up for the sake of a couple of quid on a proper tested dye that you know will work, last and finish properly?

Fair comment Rorschach and thanks.
I have been experimenting with a few techniques when making the board/box, so thought I would continue to. The item isn't for anyone in particular, so I'm not working to a brief.
However your advice is probably correct.
Thanks again.

Maybe the compromise answer is vandyke crystals. Long established as a "proper" stain, they'll give the colour you want. You make a strong, sticky solution with crystals and hot water, then dilute it for use. Many shades can be achieved according to how strong the mix and how much you build it up.
I think they are made from walnut shells, so score highly as "natural".

Many thanks AndyT,
Vandyke crystals seems an interesting option, as it seems the product should be pretty versatile for future projects.

Just out of interest and returning to my original question, could anyone give any information of the pros and cons of using natural products such as the likes of coffee. tea etc as a dyeing agent.??

Many thanks in advance
Simon

The main drawback of most vegetable dyes is that they fade rapidly on light exposure.

Tea produces a very pale brown, which fades. Not sure about coffee.

But you could test both tomorrow, using the dregs from breakfast. You'll want to test, whatever you use. But I doubt either will produce a dark stain, even if it doesn't fade.

Thanks.
I think from all your input, that the coffee at tea method is out off the question, so will pursue the vandyke crystals or shop bought dye.
Again, thanks
Simon

Back