Name this wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could sniff and rub it I could say for sure! it should feel slightly oily and smell just the musty side of sweet.

Looks quite like iroko from that picture now.
The colour is a spot on match on my computer.
The pore sizes are a match, and that's the biggest giveaway with iroko.
I wouldn't be certain I suppose without another snap of the edge grain though, but going with it as the closest thing to it I know of.
I don't think there is another species anywhere near close to that last picture.
Tom

Is that the same plank though?, looking at both now and I fail to see any similarities.
The pore lines look really long in the first picture, unlike iroko to me.

Keith 66":20sdiud6 said:
I would say teak, i have used quite a lot of it on boats & a lot looks just like that.
Bang on the money. Teak...but it might not be. You'll know if it's teak because it feels 'waxy' on the surface (which is in fact a type of rubber) and it will blunt a sharp plane blade after only a few passes - Rob

Ttrees":3hxb1fnr said:
Is that the same plank though?, looking at both now and I fail to see any similarities.
The pore lines look really long in the first picture, unlike iroko to me.

From what I understand the first photo was a weathered piece that had been trodden on for years etc, It's initially what threw me off as well but seeing the second picture I would also lean towards it being Iroko.

Back