Name that wood.......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
What is the fielded panelling on this joiners chest made of ?

s-l1600-10.jpg

Looks elmy to me but photos aren’t that clear on my device, and guesses are always limited to oak, elm, beech, sycamore, ash, and mahoganyish as that’s all the timbers I’ve ever used.

They are throwing me out of my studio at the end of May, so I need something to put my shiz in and thought that it would be just the ticket.

English walnut seems to be the consensus of the wood nerds amongst the carving department staff.

I shall post more pics later, as I need a tiny slip to make a repair to one of the tills.

My vote is for Elm. My parents have a 400 year old farm house and the first floor has Elm floor boards, they are exactly that colour (or darker) and marking.

It's a tricky one, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's not elm, although that was my initial thought. The secondary wood such as the saw till sides and backs look like mahogany, but all of the surfaces and the till bottoms are the mystery wood. I suppose I'll have to go microscopic and take a look at the end grain of the tiny dovetail pins with a loupe to get a definitive answer.

Once it's all cleaned up, I'll show some photos of the precise cabinetry and how he has set the screws right at the edge of the boards and even cut down the width of the hinges to accommodate the thin till sections and lids.

It's tidy work to say the least.

Walnut is the consensus of the furniture conservation dept., so I have ordered samples from Capital Crispin in the IOD.

We shall see....

Back