Name that tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Not much of a tree I'm afraid but can anybody ID these leaves/twig?
TIA

jx9d5gv.jpg

I couldn't help but notice there is an eject button on your dash. Does this operate the passenger seat a la 007? :D

thetyreman":1dpb2hha said:
looks like beech to me noel,

regards,

Ben.

I thought it may have be Beech Ben but can't really find anything that looks similar on the net. No Beech around my area. You may well be right.

Dave, at times I wish it was an ejector seat button.............

MickCheese":1fbk90ge said:
Is it some sort of poplar?Maybe black poplar?

Could be on to something there MC, although more of a matt finish : ) compared to this image of Black Popular:

Poplar_EP_0611_0527Zoo0002.jpg

I've got a great little book on British trees (Collins Complete Guide to British Trees for anyone interested) which has pictures of the leaves in a list, had a quick flick through and the one that looked most similar was Downy Birch.

birch-downy-leaf-paul-sterry-NPL.jpg

CHJ":3rowswrz said:
Is it growing in a moist location? it looks like in might be Black Poplar but the sample I had were not so pointed.

L50a.jpg

The above is one of the few samples I collected.

Here Chas, which is about 100m from the sea (to the right):

46%20-%20Glenarm.jpg

A friend was there today but unsure where in the property the tree was but looks like there could be a Black Poplar in there.

Some more images of Poplar species.
scan0019.jpg

Attachments

• scan0019.jpg
    scan0019.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 503
Trevanion":3ila3mzx said:
I've got a great little book on British trees (Collins Complete Guide to British Trees for anyone interested) which has pictures of the leaves in a list, had a quick flick through and the one that looked most similar was Downy Birch.

birch-downy-leaf-paul-sterry-NPL.jpg

Looks similar as well TV. I know Downy and Silver grow here although that's the only types of Birch that do I think.

Noel, your leaves are not typical of beeches in Norn Iron; you may remember I spent my working life up an avenue of 40 beech trees and my profession was...
Given that it comes from a castle grounds(?), my money is on a "specimen tree" imported from location x by the gentry of the castle. If so, it could be genetically pure to whatever region the gentry visited, or, be a whimsical 'cross' designed for 'augmentation ' of the grounds.
That's a long way of saying: " not native beech in N.I., could be an import".
It DOES look vaguely beechish, but the poplar theme developing above is strongly convincing too...did I mention hybrids?
Sam

Poplar

Probably Manchester Poplar

edit
Don't plant that twig as a cutting ! -- unless you plant it well away from property

They grow big and the roots have been known to block drains, damage buildings etc

It does look like aspen from seeing those photos, on reflection I don't think it's beech.

A cultivar of Populus nigra, the farina under the leaves is uncharacteristic but everything else fits, particularly the bud length and colour.
Might be worth posting it up on Arbtalk.
Hth
Tris

Noel":3ntijcxx said:
Not much of a tree I'm afraid but can anybody ID these leaves/twig?
TIA

jx9d5gv.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.
This is from a Poplar tree locally (not sure what type but will take a photo soon as, usual tall skinny type), looks similar:

HZQ0RUA.jpg

Tall, skinny type is Lombardy poplar, Populus nigra var. italica so very similar. We have two Black Poplar in the garden I work in and they are massive, completely dwarf an avenue of 100 year old lime trees and can be seen from miles around. The local woodpeckers love to drum on them in the spring so there must be some dead wood up there. :shock:

Back