Nailing in a Rafter + Roof Sarking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerryKnowles

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I am building a workshop 27m2 to keep in permitted development and I am st roofing stage. I have found some incredibly helpful threads on here but am struggling with a simple questing. How do you nail a rafter to a top plate and ridge board. So far I have screwed everything in the stud walls for 2 reasons firstly if I cock it up I can unscrew and do it again ( and yes I have cocked up ) and secoindly its all horizontal forces so a screw will be fine. With a rafter I fell I need to nail these as there will be forces applied to the rafter from different angles so shear strength will be required . Can anyone advise on the best way to nail a rafter to both the ridgeboard and the top plate please.

Also what the best breatheable membrane to use, as this will be my next job ?

Just nail them. They are not under shear stress of any sort as all the load is downwards or in to the middle. so they'll be pushing against each other either side of the ridge plate and down hard onto the wall plate.

PS nailing at the top of the rafter to the ridge board - it helps if your rafters are aligned with each other on opposite sides of the ridge...

PPS for membrane - they're all much of a muchness. Price (and availability) will be a key factor. It's worth choosing one that has a BBA certificate and reading the manufacturer's installation instructions first.

I used Cromer Vent 3 on my outbuilding as it was recommended to me. I screwed my rafters onto the ridge board and wall plate with an impact driver as it was my first large roof project and I could easily remedy any mistakes also angling a heavy nail gun correctly at the ridge is tricky.

I used Cromer Vent 3 on my outbuilding as it was recommended to me. I screwed my rafters onto the ridge board and wall plate with an impact driver as it was my first large roof project and I could easily remedy any mistakes also angling a heavy nail gun correctly at the ridge is tricky.
Hammer. Nails. If nails a bit bendy or wood a bit splitty then predrill with a guide hole (smaller than nail diameter).
This is a good idea anyway as it pins the rafter to the ridge purlin or wall plate, at the first stroke

Back