Nailers - Home use -Best Choice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have suggestions for a practical nailer, for home use please?

Come the Summer, I am considering boarding over and insulating my concrete workshop floor. So, I need a gun that is powerful enough for nailing standard pine floorboards to pressure treated pine, (and for tiling lath to masonry, for wall-cladding.)

I don't want to buy a compressor, and if pneumatic is the required type, then I'd probably hire a nailer. In that event, I would need to get the job done in a day... I suppose I could organise a barbie, so a few guys 'n gals could come around and assist! :wink: I am also considering a shed build in the summer, so if an electrically operated nailer will suffice, then I have a further use for it.

I already have a Black and Decker stapler/nailer, but I don't think that is powerful enough. If anyone wonders why I don't use a claw hammer, (Because that's my preferred method) well it's because I can't kneel easily these days!

TIA

:D

hi, personally speaking i've never had any joy with anything other than paslode and the hilti gx100/120 will send nails through wood/ brick/concrete/steel combinations effortlessly, you'd be more than welcome to borrow but postage back and forth would more than likely be more than hiring. may sound like a bit overkill for 'home use' but i've also got 2 tacwise & 1 performance pro nailer in bits which were a complete waste of time! ade

Use 18mm OSB John and screw it down, more even than boards and a hell of lot less fixings.

Roy.

Thanks for the info Ade, and the kind offer. As you say, shipping would be more than the hire, and there is an outlet just 3/4 mile up the road from me! But I do appreciate the offer my friend. That's what I like about UKW 'innit'? :)

In case I decide to buy, I'll have a scout around t'interweb. :D

Roy,

I had considered panels, and thinking on it, sheet material would spread the load of machines better. But screwing down is a no-no, as I can't kneel. Hence the idea of nailing. With care, I can stoop, and bend to reach the work with a nailer. But the board seems a 'Good idea Son', as Max would say!

One other option is Number-One Son. He could be persuaded to operate the 'driver. He says he wants to learn more woodworking skills!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ta... John :D

Give me a shout when you are ready for the floor to go down and I'll pop over on a sat or sunday morning and screw down the boards for you

Boards are a much better way to go

As for Paslode I gave up using mine 3 years ago and reverted back to the compresser and first fix;second fix and Pinner gun's
Got fed up with gas freezing, Missfiring (trying to fire 2 nails at a time ) and the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) was the price of the nails
I currently pay £29 for 4000 75mm Nails with out gas
And 50mm brads for 5000 is £10
I dont know whats the going rate for the same amount of paslodes £100 + ???

Roger

RogerBoyle":j2i2qvjh said:
Give me a shout when you are ready for the floor to go down and I'll pop over on a sat or sunday morning and screw down the boards for you

Boards are a much better way to go

As for Paslode I gave up using mine 3 years ago and reverted back to the compresser and first fix;second fix and Pinner gun's
Got fed up with gas freezing, Missfiring (trying to fire 2 nails at a time ) and the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) was the price of the nails
I currently pay £29 for 4000 75mm Nails with out gas
And 50mm brads for 5000 is £10
I dont know whats the going rate for the same amount of paslodes £100 + ???

Roger

That's a very kind offer Roger, but there's just a bit more to the job! I might be impinging on your good nature.

I have to move a planer, a lathe a bandsaw and my bench. There's nowhere to keep it whilst the job is being done, other than the side entrance under tarps! Ergo the job needs to be completed in one day. (Approx 18 feet x 9 feet, total. ) Being a garage, the floor is below the house level DPC. So the bearers will need laying on felt, and be fixed down, so they don't tend to warp upwards! And of course somehow I have to put in insulation. Having plenty of headroom I was thinking maybe 3 x 2s.

I will certainly supply the beer/tokens! But you'll have to take it home with you... Or sleep it off in the loft!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding of course! :mrgreen:

Either way, it's going to be a number of weeks before I have everything else ready. Then it's down to the weather!

Thanks again Roger, and I'll keep in touch. :)

As long as it isn't lager Roy!

Get that from Camels don't they!? :lol:
If the sub floor is flat and level John strictly speaking the beams require no fixing down.

Roy.

Digit":212h0hqj said:
As long as it isn't lager Roy!

Get that from Camels don't they!? :lol:
If the sub floor is flat and level John strictly speaking the beams require no fixing down.

Roy.

it's a garage floor Roy so it has a 'draining' slope, but it is nowhere near like a ploughed field! But some of this 3 x 2 does move like a banana across the width, so I shall have to mull that one over.

Paul..
I do like the look of that gizmo, but not so much the price. I wonder if I welded a drill adapter on one end of a steel rod, and a driver bit on the other end? (In fact, why doesn't someone just manufacture an extra long screwdriver bit? I guess it's because builders are usually fit young folk! :lol: )

Thanks for the link.. :D

If you're using felt as a DPM John piercing it with fastenings, unless there is a DPM in the concrete, will provide a path for damp. Firring pieces might solve the slope.
It's pipper getting old and stiff isn't it?

Roy.

ade1":29ehndxv said:
hi, personally speaking i've never had any joy with anything other than paslode and the hilti gx100/120 will send nails through wood/ brick/concrete/steel combinations effortlessly, you'd be more than welcome to borrow but postage back and forth would more than likely be more than hiring. may sound like a bit overkill for 'home use' but i've also got 2 tacwise & 1 performance pro nailer in bits which were a complete waste of time! ade

I have a Tacwise 500EL Nailer and I have to disagree with the comment about Tacwise being useless. As seen as it is a 2nd fix finishing nailer then it actually does quite a good job of fixing architraves, door stops, mouldings, beadings etc...

I would say that it would be useless for the job that the o/p has stated but it's not actually a bad nailer and saves a lot of time and for £82.00....

Stormer1940":g3rfkol0 said:
ade1":g3rfkol0 said:

I have a Tacwise 500EL Nailer and I have to disagree with the comment about Tacwise being useless. As seen as it is a 2nd fix finishing nailer then it actually does quite a good job of fixing architraves, door stops, mouldings, beadings etc...

I would say that it would be useless for the job that the o/p has stated but it's not actually a bad nailer and saves a lot of time and for £82.00....

So it would be okay for attaching the backs of wardrobes, cupboards and other light workshop use? :?: :)

Hi John
I have a paslode 350 and have used it many times to fix battens to concrete walling blocks but would be very surprised if it will penetrate and hold securely direct into a concrete floor, (not a properly laid one anyway).

You don't have to buy the paslode brand nails btw as there are several cheaper options including gas and the secret to problem free usage is VERY frequent cleaning and maintenance - much more so than I realised when I bought it.

How I fix to concrete quickly and successfully is use an SDS hammer drill straight through timber and concrete and knock in cheap hammer fixings of the correct length. Never failed yet. I have a Makita and a Dewalt as they are used extensively but you can a cheapo for £20 - £30 if you don't have one.

Bob

Benchwayze":15wfnmjt said:
Stormer1940":15wfnmjt said:
ade1":15wfnmjt said:

So it would be okay for attaching the backs of wardrobes, cupboards and other light workshop use? :?: :)

The 500 Nailer is quite a chunky monkey and not sure if it would be too bulky. They do a smaller version which doubles as a staple gun which I have but really only ever use the larger brother... It depends also on what size of brads you want to fire in... Also these are powered by the mains...

Back