Nail Guns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
What are peoples view on cordless nail guns? I have two Paslode machines , a Paslode Pulsa 1000 for firing into steel and concrete and a IM350 Framing nailer for all my studwork and roof framing. The IM350 gets the most use and I really cannot fault it , firing 90mm nails in a split second.Certainly saves a lot of arm swinging. I am looking to purchase a compressor for various other jobs and would like to add a brad nailer ( up to 50mm brads/nails ) to my workshop so has anyone got a recommendation or review on a suitable model for less than about £150 ? Thanks in advance for any reply.

DON'T BUY CHEAP.

I used to have a £100 Compressor and brad nailer. maintainde and oiled it properly. One day I ended up with a nice burn on my arm - Could have been bubble in vein. I will never forget that.

I have used a B&Q brad nailer/compressor for about 2 years. Its been used for a number of building type projects - cladding, fence work etc and for general pinning on smaller carpentry projects. So far its worked fine.
What failed on your unit James :?: - your comment alarms me !
Thanks, John

SDA , you said that you oiled it hope you did not put oil down the feed pipe because that will certanilly give you a burn its called "Diesling" with the air rifle lot.
I use to put 3 in 1 oil down my barrel to give a diesel effect inwhich gives it more velocity just as much as a cartridge rifle
Well these compressed air nail guns work on the same principle as a air rifle :roll:

Stay right away from the Rapasco nailer/stapler, it marks your wood everytime, or at least it did with me, its fine for garden fences but cabinet making or anything like that with a nice hardwood, I wouldnt trust it myself.

Nick

I have the electra beckum combi and I am more than happy. It will though mark soft wood but then I don't use it for finishing if I can avoid it. Norm seems to use brads for finishing but i think that looks terrible after spending so much time over making a nice piece and then ruining the finish with brads. Anyway I hope you can find something to suit. :D

Yeah when he sticks a load of brads right into the front of a nice cherry draw or something like that it seems criminal.

Im going to go down the road of biscuits & glue I think, im sure a good joint with strong glue wood be perfectly ok.

When I tried the 18 gauge nailer from Rapasco in some nice lacewood hardwood the nails looked hideous, quite large headed shiny things all over the nice dark hardwood, it totally spoils a nice piece of wood.

Nick :wink:

James,

I have noticed in a couple of posts that you appear to have a deep seated fear about getting an air bubble in your vein.

You will have to try very hard and be massively stupid to do this with a standard air compressor; at the typical 90 - 120psi these machines pump out you would stop the air flow with your skin, let alone have it go through tissue and muscle and your vein wall. In order to penetrate the skin you would have to force the air through a tiny tiny aperture, say 1/20mm and at a very high pressure and velocity.

I'd be lots more concerned about shooting myself with a nail than bubbles in veins.

If you are predisposed to sticking hypodermic needles into yourself then make sure that you don't inject air, that will cause a buble, but not an air compressor.

Graham
Sounds like you have done it aswell :cry:
Why is it you fire a nail into your finger and it stings a bit :?: YET YOU PULL IT BACK OUT AND ITS LIKE HAVING YOUR HAND PUT THROUGH A MINCER :cry: :cry:
Have been using my nailer for a few years and have only done it once, iam a bit more carfull now. :wink:
Mick

Mick, thankfully I have not shot myself with a nail yet, but been close enough to cause a few things to twitch :?

When I was at college though I'm amazed I didn't do some serious mischief to myself.

I trained as a mechanical engineer and one of the favourite pastimes was to draw a target on the workshop wall and see if we could hit it; our weapons were to leave the chuck key in the lathe and turn it on :twisted:

We could also fashion some pretty impressive air weapons with the big compressors and a length of pipe, could make a tennis ball go a hell of a long way!!!

Anyway, I don't suggest anyone should try this at home, not big or clever.

Back