Nail Gun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
matt":21g9ln4t said:
Oooh... that looks interesting but also raises more questions... "Tankless" - Pro's and con's???

Well presumably, tankless means that it will run continuously and they are not quiet. I would also expect it would be very limited when it comes to running other air tools.

matt":1qbwncjc said:
Oooh... that looks interesting but also raises more questions... "Tankless" - Pro's and con's???
If you go tankless then the compressor runs all the time, so extra noise. With a tanked system there is a pressure switch that cut the motor when the tank is up to the maximum pressure. The nail gun will work for quite a long time on the stored pressure until the switch cuts the motor back in to recharge the tank.
Also with a tanked system you can run some tools that need more CFM than the pump for short bursts, I have done this with an impact wrench, which is dead good for undoing tight wheel nuts. :twisted:

eventually if you have a compressor, you will want to be able to spray. :twisted:
at which point a tank is really valuable. at this time i use normal spraying and it is amazing even on models as to how quickly the tank is emptied and the motor kicks back in.

the other thing is because of the way they work you are generally limited to the amount of time you can run a tankless compressor. remember the unit is sitting in a room where the air is relatively still, and it is compressing and building up heat in the air. that means more moisture in the air, which means you need an inline moisture separator.

also the continuous running will get on your nerves.

the gun should come with some oil and i am not sure what kind of oil it is, just that sip sell special air tool oil which is not i guess 3 in 1 :lol:

paul :wink:

Slimjim81":37mf3sar said:
Matt,

Where abouts are you?

On Monday I will have a brand new and unopened Bandit & Nailer surplus to requirements. If you want it (for a reasonable price), its yours.

This is pretty much what I got from B&Q and it has been ideal for a small workshop. If you want to try a bit of spraying you just pick a gun to suit the CFM, they are out there.

engineer one":9y27z30j said:
the blower makes short work of getting rid of dust which gets stuck in places you did not even know you had. :lol:

Just don't be tempted to use it on any electrical/electronic equipment :(

I'm a beginner at this compressor lark as well. This is my own Acme guide.

My initial requirements were for something to tack bits of smallish items together while the glue was going off. I didn't want to shell out much money. Everyone told me that 'the bigger the better'. However, I opted to buy the same compressor and nailer as the one slimjim is offering. I also bought the fine pin nailer from Axminster.

Observations...all work as it says on the tin although the brads/nails don't quite go where I expect them to...in other words I need to practice my alignment technique when using either nailer.

Folks talk about using compressors for other things. Definitely an air blower is worthwhile and cheap (£4 IIRC). Paint spraying? Well, I bought Steve M's HVLP and have used it once (anyone interested in buying it?). So I don't see me using the compressor for that but....big but...who knows in the future maybe? And herein lies the rub...

There are three factors that define the capability of a compressor (as far as I can make out). PSI, how big is the tank and what is the cfm. Some air tools require a large volume of compressed air...that's measured in cfm (and this figure isn't always quoted by manufacturers). Free Air Delivery (FAD) is another unit of measurement for the same thing (as far as I can make out) and is about 2/3 whatever the cfm figure is.
Manufacturers fib when it comes to accurately quoting cfm or FAD.

It is the type of air-tool that determines which of these three (or combination) is most important.

I use a big DeWalt Framing Nailer with my Bandit. It needs a lot of oomph (psi) and the Bandit quite happily supplies that. However, because the nailer is not on continuously, it does not need a large tank and so the compressor motor on the Bandit can keep the cylinder charged up ready for use.

I was going to use my compressor for a spot of sandblasting but this requires a high psi, very large tank and even larger cfm. In other words, a seriously large compressor. The Bandit simply does not have the puff. Research tells me I need to spend something like £1000+ for the sort of compressor to come anywhere close enough to supply the puff for something like a sandblaster...as it demands a continuous 15 cfm at least.
The professional sandblaster who did the beams in our cottage uses a CompAir compressor that supplies 270cfm (not a typo).

Compressor noise.....yes..it is. It makes you jump in the early days every time the motor kicks in. That's why many people stick them outside their workshops. You can buy quiet ones. Bambi is one make.

Oil - you need two types both readily available. One type goes in the compressor (unless it's an oil-less one). It's no big deal to keep it topped up.

The second type goes in the air-tool (especially if you're using something like a nailer). We're talking drops here. If your memory is like a sieve then some people use in-line oilers that are connected to the air-line and sort of drip feed oil into the tool as you use it. However, some folks advocate that these in-line oilers are not a good idea if you're going to use the same airline to apply paint! And, yet again, others advocate a quick spray of brake cleaner on the nails just before using them and not bother with any tool oil.

Hope that helps (or confuses!)

get a compressor/nailer outfit, but also get a electric one unless your quite happy reverting back to the old hammer and bruised thumb malarky. :D .......or your missus is quite happy for your to tote your noisy compressor thru the house on jobs that are not viable for the workshop.....
just my tuppeneth...

FWIW Chisel has a leccy nailer" For Sale, General Woodworking" sensible offers is all he wants.
so maybe your budget could be stretched to a good secondhand tacker.....

My setup is a compressor from aldi with all the extra bits and a axminster nail gun because you can adjust the depth you sink the nail head for different materials and applications it works well .

Slimjim81":37hm777f said:
Matt,

Where abouts are you?

On Monday I will have a brand new and unopened Bandit & Nailer surplus to requirements. If you want it (for a reasonable price), its yours.

Sorry Matt,

I'm going to have to withdraw that offer. It has been spoken for.

Hi Guys,

First post after lurking for some time...."Great Site".

My tupence worth...

Get a tanked compressor....i got a 50 litre 2hp "Wolf" version for workshop nailing and general duties.....spraying etc....
Like this one:

For inside of the house i have an electric Tacwise 500

Fires up to 50mm though not very well...i'd stick with 25,30,35mm

Nick

Roger Sinden":3gf305u9 said:
engineer one":3gf305u9 said:
the blower makes short work of getting rid of dust which gets stuck in places you did not even know you had. :lol:

Just don't be tempted to use it on any electrical/electronic equipment :(

Roger,

Why do you say that? Will it cause damage?

Thanks
Mike

Mike

You stand a very, very good chance of blowing dust into the equipment.

I exclude equipment such as power tools which are (usually) designed to work in hostile dusty environments.

Roger

Slimjim81":1z2fnihe said:
Slimjim81":1z2fnihe said:
Matt,

Where abouts are you?

Sorry Matt,

I'm going to have to withdraw that offer. It has been spoken for.

Dang! I've only just got back to this thread! Nevertheless... looks like an interesting package from Machine Mart. Thanks for the link in any event.

Back