NAIL GUN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a 16 guage cordless nail gun and there are a number out there.
Im a bit of a pauper so a cheap one, £200 max.
Has anybody any suggestions as to which is a good one?
Thanks

Fasco 16 gauge. Some on Ebay now for £130.

Fasco are one of the best brands in the nail gun world.
Aren't the Fasco guns air powered?

The OP wanted a cordless nailer - didn't specify if he preferred gas cell or battery though.

I've been looking for the same and the Ryobi Airstrike 16G looks OK for DIY use

Aren't the Fasco guns air powered?
yup, missed that requirement......

I must be honest I looked at cordless guns a while back and went the air route as there was too much disparity in quality at the models I was looking at at the time. Depends on usage really.

You will get more for the money going with air, and a small compressor is not expensive. I have a Senco 18g brad and a Dewalt 16g, both work well but I think the Senco has the edge on quality.

For me compared to an air gun the battery ones are no different to using that god awful Rapesco POS from the 80s, they are too underpowered to give repeatable accurate results. you will always have at least one that is sticking up or gone too deep and bruise/crush the surrounding wood.

The only reasonable one I have seen is the Senco F16 fusion but that is around £450. Nothing in the sub £400 group are worth replacing your air gun for, unless you are doing only site work. OP hasn't said he is so like most I am looking at this from a bench POV

Last edited:
Don't want to usurp the original thread but can you recommend a decent compressor - can't be too large as I don't have the space

I made the jump to a nail gun about 18 months ago. The builders where using gas powered Rapesco for the studwork and roof and smaller Rapesco along with cordless Dewalt for lighter stuff.
I picked up a manufacturers return/refurb DeWalt and I'm very impressed. I went the 2amp battery route as this cut costs considerably. One charge will easily do second fix for a couple of rooms of skirts, architraves etc. Fixing skirts to block/brick I find some of the nails go fully in, others only 1/2 way. This does not matter as I liquid nails the back and pull the bent ones out next day. I also find it useful for holding carcase work together that I have biscuit jointed and I'm trying to get the clamps on.

Colin

Don't want to usurp the original thread but can you recommend a decent compressor - can't be too large as I don't have the space

I can recommend SGS as a company brought stuff off them chainsaws and generators etc.

Good company customer care and parts service.

Cheers James

Scott Brown has a number of reviews for nailers. This is one and will lead you to his channel on YouTube.

Get yourself a Hyundai compressor your ears and neighbours will thank you for it, unlike most it doesn’t sound like someone is banging a sledge hammer in a tin can.

Get yourself a Hyundai compressor your ears and neighbours will thank you for it, unlike most it doesn’t sound like someone is banging a sledge hammer in a tin can.
So something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TJQZLSF
I presume all I'd need then is the air line and nail gun - and possibly a blow-off gun (whatever they're called)

Sorry for the questions - I've never really looked at air tools before so it's all a bit new

perry
look at the offerings of LIDIL.....their comp comes with a built in airline recoil system and prob an air gun.....
£100'ish..cant go wrong.....if it does a long warrenty......
there are very quiet comps out there but spendy.....
My Aldi oilless comp is 20 years old and still perfek....mine is used for small farts and tyres plus the nailer....

@clogs - I'll look at the LIDL ones, but if I go for a compressor it will need to be quite quiet to avoid upsetting the neighbours, the Hyundai one I linked to above is only 60dB

So something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TJQZLSF
I presume all I'd need then is the air line and nail gun - and possibly a blow-off gun (whatever they're called)

Sorry for the questions - I've never really looked at air tools before so it's all a bit new

Yeah that’s the one I bought but off EBay, just make sure when you get the nail gun it has a Euro fitting along with your air line otherwise it’s extra cost of buying the connectors.
Not sure why you need a blow gun but eh Ho 😀

I’ve got a Ryobi air strike 16g which I’m perfectly happy with for what I bought it for and got it for a decent price. The amount it gets the Brad in does vary depending on the wood and how perfectly you’re holding it against the surface but it only needs a light tap with a hammer to finish off if needed.
To @Bob1 - what do you intend doing with the nail gun? Remember the Ryobi and lots of cheaper (non air) are brads not nails so won’t be same as actually nailing things tight together. Ryobi has been great for attaching some internal T&G to studs and mouldings etc. The brads can be short (eg 25mm) or long 60ish. I’ve got a Paslode 360 for ‘proper’ nailing!

I have the Ryobi 16g Air Strike nailer and don’t like it at all - big, heavy, slow, clunky and generally awkward to use. If you can live with 18g then you have a lot more choice; the Ryobi 18g nailer is supposed to be much better, much more like their narrow crown stapler which I have and rate highly. But for that kind of budget for a 16g, I think you’ll find slim pickings in the cordless options - I’d be curious to know what other’s the OP has found to compare. HTH P

Latest posts

Back