Myths & Mysteries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul's bench secrets revealed here http://paulsellers.com/paul-sellers-blog/
Surprise surprise it's exactly the same design as mine (and several thousand other trad english benches)!
It's a very functional bench and easy to make with cheap materials (redwood). Only 13 components; 4 legs, 4 rails, 2 top beams, 2 aprons, one ply board to close the well.

Here's my version in the back of these snaps post691271.html#p691271

Double sided is good; at half time (30 years or so) you can just turn it round!

Jacob":2i2g5q22 said:
Surprise surprise it's exactly the same design as mine (and several thousand other trad english benches)!

I find that style of bench totally inadequate for the way I work because, apart from a Record vice fitted to the front, there are no work-holding facilities. I know you often advocate nailing pieces of wood to the bench to hold the work but that involves a lot of faffing about.

Maybe Paul Sellers and you do a lot of your work on machines and therefore don't have the same requirements as me when it comes to bench work. My bench has evolved as a result of the way I work and it's a lot different from the style of bench you and Paul Sellers advocate.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":200ze4ft said:
Jacob":200ze4ft said:

I find that style of bench totally inadequate for the way I work because, apart from a Record vice fitted to the front, there are no work-holding facilities. I know you often advocate nailing pieces of wood to the bench to hold the work but that involves a lot of faffing about.

Maybe Paul Sellers and you do a lot of your work on machines and therefore don't have the same requirements as me when it comes to bench work. My bench has evolved as a result of the way I work and it's a lot different from the style of bench you and Paul Sellers advocate.

Paul
No the aprons are brilliantly versatile for holding. You can screw, nail or clamp to them, or drill holes for pegs, dogs, holdfasts etc. A bigger hole can take a sash or G clamp. These mods can be temporary or permanent. Much better holding possibilities than the "continental" style where you have to add sliding deadman or other devices instead.
If you look in the photo of the new side (link above) you can see a block clamped to the end of the apron. You could clamp this block anywhere, or clamp a longer piece bearing on the floor for heavier weights. Don't be deceived by the lack of detail on the apron - it is very versatile, every bench needs one!
Also houses the legs and is absolutely essential for the rigidity of the whole thing as well as adding mass.

Paul Chapman":3q9jam0y said:
Despite your assurances, I still wouldn't swap my bench for your one.......

Paul
Don't worry I'm not offering! :lol:

My bench [hidden under the junk] is built from 2x6 timbers, and was a cast off from a neighbour. Strong and heavy but not elegant. Re-surfaced with 18mm ply. It has 'aprons' for rigidity which I didn't want to remove, so I cut out two rectangles in situ and fitted a pair of full width straight through drawers. Rough and ready but it utilises the space and could be done nicely.

Paul Chapman":pve78c57 said:
Despite your assurances, I still wouldn't swap my bench for your one.......

Paul

Might have been tempted, but he's renovated it :cry: :cry: Have a look at his latest posts about big windows in General Woodworking.

Mind you, he's fitted a second vice so he's getting there 8) Maybe when he does the next renovation in 25 years time he'll go the whole hog and fit a tail vice :-k

Paul

I've just turned it round and put a vice on the back. With this trad design you get two benches for the price of one.

He doesn't appear to have clamped that piece down when chopping out the mortice :shock: , but then it's not in the vice either :roll: ; what an amateur! :twisted:

I'm quite a fan of the "traditional English" bench design. I find the aprons more of a help than a hindrance. I don't really have any problem clamping to my bench, but having said that my bench has a tail vice, dog holes and a pair of Richard T holdfasts :)

Doug B":9fto48c2 said:
What a shocker :shock: from the looks of the latest picture on Mr Sellers blog he also advocates chopping out mortices on the bench top.....
:lol:
I think he's just trying to annoy everybody. How churlish! :roll:

Jacob":1x7t6nw0 said:
Doug B":1x7t6nw0 said:
What a shocker :shock: from the looks of the latest picture on Mr Sellers blog he also advocates chopping out mortices on the bench top.....

If the truth be known, he's probably a closet Domino-user :lol:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3hb2auxr said:
Jacob":3hb2auxr said:
Doug B":3hb2auxr said:

Surely he doesn`t use his domino in a closet :shock: , the H&E contraventions would be innumerable [-X let alone the ability to safely clamp the work piece in such a cramped environment :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Chapman":414cr75d said:
Jacob":414cr75d said:
Doug B":414cr75d said:

Paul
Wouldn't be surprised. You've only got to look at his hair. :roll:

Latest posts

Back