Mythical L-N chisels not so mythical

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shucks yeah it seems like only 230 yrs ago! :roll: not much further back than this thread really. :wink:

Regards Tom

I don't get the sense that Alf will be coming back here from the other forum in a hurry, BB.

I think most people would be happy using any old chisel as long as its the right size and its sharp. Thats not to say that a wonderfully made tool is not desirable for the epitome value but sometimes its just not practical..
I mean, if you are a carpenter or joiner and the most you use your chisels for is cutting out hinges and locks when hanging doors, it would be a sin to use a state of the art chisel, when a stanley or marples would do the job perfectly well.
Same goes for sharpening, the variety of methods, tools jigs and materials is huge and it becomes difficult to be objective about what methods and materials to buy and even how to use them. I have a Scheppach tiger 2500, some diamond plates, different grades of oil stones and water stones, and of course glass sheet contact adhesive and emery paper...... but one of the most pleasing sharpening ups I ever did was when stuck on a job site and needing a chisel only to realise I had left my chisels in the workshop. One dull 3/4" chisel in the bottom of a toolbox....
I stoned it on the clients doorstep, ( stone not concrete!) and was quite surprised at how good an edge was got. Desperate measures yes, but certainly put things into perspective re: what you *think you need* and what you actually need...............So why have I got the Scheppach Tiger? and the other stuff? Well the customer wouldn`t let me take his doorstep..........and the stones are passed down through my family, some from uncles, grandfathers, etc....Not a clue what they all are but they do the job..

Oh by the way, Ryan.
When referring to the British surrender at Saratoga in October 1777 be sure to remember simultaneous events, such as the defeat of Washngton at Brandywine, the very same Washington who was allowed to go free after the battle of Brooklyn which he also lost.
Also when you say "we" I assume you refer to America, plus France, plus Spain, and Prussia, your allies, and your other allies at sea, Sweden, Russia, and Denmark that hindered the British navy, thus preventing their munitions and reinforcements.
and after that we whupped Washington again, this time in his home town.....
I like my history too.

Streepips":330kpu9e said:
Oh by the way, Ryan.
When referring to the British surrender at Saratoga in October 1777 be sure to remember simultaneous events, such as the defeat of Washngton at Brandywine, the very same Washington who was allowed to go free after the battle of Brooklyn which he also lost.
Also when you say "we" I assume you refer to America, plus France, plus Spain, and Prussia, your allies, and your other allies at sea, Sweden, Russia, and Denmark that hindered the British navy, thus preventing their munitions and reinforcements.
and after that we whupped Washington again, this time in his home town.....
I like my history too.

Jeeze, just a joke. Didn't figure you guys would be so touchy over it still :roll:

Hey, hey, we all know that we were the under funded guerillas and you were the big guy with all the troops, arms, and money. All we had to do was hang around long enough for you to decide you didn't want to fight anymore, make it too expensive for you to want to pursue it. That last touch with Cornwall in Yorktown was pretty neat, but you had the means to keep fighting if you'd been willing.

The story is repeated time and again (says a lot about men's ability to reason, right?), in Viet Nam/USA, Afganistan/USSR, ad nauseum.

Pam

"Us" being men or the UK? As for men, I certainly don't want to even try to get along without you; but I sure wish you could bring your testosterone under control, grow a bit more neocortex, or whatever it takes to stop killing us. The world can't stand many more Bushes, Cheneys, et al.

As to the UK, as a woman who's always worked, I'm probably better off in the US, but it's a matter of a very few degrees. I like it that we don't yet have any inner city driving taxes, except for New York, which is no joy to drive in anyway, better to park in the burbs and take the train. I just love our health insurance system (note I didn't say health care). NOT. Hmmm, I don't know. :)

Pam

Actually, analysts have finally worked out the reasoning behind Dubya's foreign policy: the Yanks feel so bad about being late for the last two world wars that they want to make sure they're really prompt for the next one..............

Only kidding, guys: we love you really !

Saintsman

I was referring to the colonies getting along without the mother country

The Saintsman wrote:
Actually, analysts have finally worked out the reasoning behind Dubya's foreign policy: the Yanks feel so bad about being late for the last two world wars that they want to make sure they're really prompt for the next one..............
Nice :wink: - Rob

Saintsman":d9aiu665 said:

Haha, that's a good one. It'll be sad to see Dubya go. He unites people through group making-fun-of :D. Even if you like the guy you can't help but mae fun of him :D

It is important to note that the hostilities between the British and the Americans as highlighted here by mention of Saratoga were by no means to be read as that of two sides in implacable opposition, in fact a short distance from my home town in Yorkshire and in the grounds of a stately home is the following example of celebration of the Independence gained by the Americans

triumphal_arch_2.jpg

The Triumphal Arch, 'The lasting memorial of the Parlington Estate'

The monument is situated to the north of the site of the hall at the end of a delightful beech lined avenue. Sir Thomas Gascoigne had the Arch erected around the late eighteenth century. It is believed locally that the arch was to be the entrance to a new house.

The archives in Leeds have a document attributed to Sir Thomas Gascoigne giving his original statement for the arch, as follows, "To that virtue which for a series of years resisted oppression and by a glorious race rescued its country and millions from slavery", this was too lengthy for the available space and was edited to the inscription you see today.

The conceptual architectural drawings for the house and the arch are in the Leeds Archive and well worth a visit.
The Inscription reads:
Liberty in N.America Triumphant MDCCLXXXIII and is repeated on both elevations.

And lets not forget if it wasn't for the American civil war then Henry Disston of the saw fame would never have amassed the capital he did, supplying the union army with steel for its war efforts ( He manufactured his own steel, a first in America, ) using the English Bessemer crucible process for making high quality carbon steel. Thus freeing up the handsaw market in America from being dependent on handsaw imports from England.
Mind you, Henry was English anyway, born in Tewkesbury Gloucestershire

An interesting post but you seem to be mixing the American Civil war and the War of Independence into one. The date from your inscription appears to be 1783.

The archives in Leeds have a document attributed to Sir Thomas Gascoigne giving his original statement for the arch, as follows, "To that virtue which for a series of years resisted oppression and by a glorious race rescued its country and millions from slavery", this was too lengthy for the available space and was edited to the inscription you see today.

Whats all that to do with Saratoga? I think it should be remembered that the war was between the Crown and British Colonists

Tommo dont be so pedantic, it was a generalised view derived from a particular topic, the timelines are not of the essence here, the ghist is the overview that such events that seems so fixed are not irrevocably so, but that there are various perspectives and consequences and aspects of such events, even those as similar yet different as the two separate wars mentioned which have in their own way brought about greater understanding and cooperation between nations and ..........OK you win, I should have introduced the latter paragraph more elegantly.
( and how quick could you have carved it then anyway?)

Am I paraphrasing myself?
Whats all that to do with Saratoga? I think it should be remembered that the war was between the Crown and British Colonists
I was going to add and lead to the birth of one of the greatest nations on earth :lol:

I'm not really into carving much and I don't particularly think those chisels are suited!

Ryan said
Just so everyone knows, I wasn't trying to start something. Just a little dorky history joke is all
Its only a bit of banter mate I haven't spoken to many people lately who are deeply upset about it :wink:

Back