Mystery Tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got this in a crate of planes and drawknives; I have no idea what it is and any thoughts would be welcome.
brassguillotine 1.jpg

It is very well made indeed; sharp blade, adjustable table, boxwood handle. No makers marks anywhere at all.
brassguillotine 2.jpg
brassguillotine 3.jpg
brassguillotine 4.jpg
brassguillotine 5.jpg

Cheers,
Martin

Attachments

• brassguillotine 1.jpg
    brassguillotine 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • brassguillotine 2.jpg
    brassguillotine 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,499
  • brassguillotine 3.jpg
    brassguillotine 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,499
  • brassguillotine 4.jpg
    brassguillotine 4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,499
  • brassguillotine 5.jpg
    brassguillotine 5.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,499
Absolutely no idea but it doesn't look like something off the shelf. Hard to see a company making something like this in any great number with so much brass. Thats not to say its not quality.

Looking at the Vee shape of the anvil I wonder wheather its a folder not a guillotine? How sharp is teh blade?

Jason

mahking51":23si1l54 said:
Hi all,
Just got this in a crate of planes and drawknives;
It looks nicely made, but forget the mystery tool. Show us the planes and drawknives :!: :D

Cheers, Vann.

adidat":h6khq04h said:
maybe an early tool for folding cardboard to make decretive boxes??
:-k

adidat

Gets my vote, back edge for flap cutting and front to crease the corners....
Let me know if you get (card)bored of it :roll: :roll:

Andy

Looks like a veneer guillotine for chopping edge bandings and inlays................maybe

Hmm. I don't recognise it at all. Can you show/explain where picture brassguillotine 4.jpg fits in - it's looks like an underneath shot, but I can't work out where it goes.

The whole thing is very beautifully made. Too beautiful to be a tool for manufacture, and not showing enough wear for that use.

To me it gives the impression of a piece of scientific equipment (in the most general sense). The right hand travelling stop doesn't look original to me - it not made to the same standard, nor from the same material as the rest of the piece.

Assuming the base is original, there's clearly a missing part, since the post is a support for "something", with a hole for a clip to hold the "something" in place.

"fascinating, captain"

BugBear

Hi BB,
Shot 4 is from below and is the adjustment to move the whole table in and out towards and away from the hinge of handle.
I agree that the table stop is a later replacement.
The perspective on the shot with the post is wrong, the post actually sits under the handle and acts as a stop, I assume the hole is for a tommy bar to adjust height when nut below is loosened.
The blade shows no sign of honing or bevel and while sharp is not scary, a la microtome type tool.
I am thinking folding , pressing etc but what ?????????
Come on BB, this is right up your alley!
Cheers,
Martin

I was trying to work out wether it was used on rods or wider strips. I eventually realised it must be strips, because the end stop doesn't go right to the back of the table.

The other thing I'm trying to work out is - wether the front/back movement is intended to control where on the workpiece the process ("cut") comes, or wether it implicitly control "depth of cut". The groove in the lower blade is NOT of constant depth, so altering the location of the operator front/back alters (as well as moves) the operation.

BugBear

I think the bending idea has merit, but I'd suggest it was bending something like sheet brass rather than cardboard. If the blade is sharp, even if unhoned, it might slice some fibers in cardboard, where brass would not likely be affected. Whoever built the thing obviously had access to lots of brass.

Kirk

Back