Mystery Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
tool3.jpg

tool4.jpg

tool2.jpg

tool.jpg
[/img]

Hi, not sure if I should post this is metal working section but does anybody recognise this tool that I got in a bucket of rusty oddments?
I've presumed it is a user made tool possibly to hold a file or chisel blade? It could be used to hold a file to trim saw teeth or a file a scraper edge possibly?
I'm probably was off the mark though, if anyone has any ideas they'd be gratefully received.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 541
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 566
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 555
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 541
Early surform ? I have a thing, "Aven trimatool" or something like that, which was a surform like tool but held a cutter like a rasp or float - very coarse teeth. It was absolutely great for sculpting big car body filler bodges. But it had the useful feature that a screw adjuster allowed you to flex the cutter concave or convex, bit like a compass plane (only plastic and much cruder).

It could hold any sort of flat blade/tool but only adjustment is sideways in for the width of the tool. It's pretty basic.
I put it in the next bucket of molasses and then have a play around.

Honestly, how often do I have to answer this question?! :D :D

When you find yourself filing large slide-valves and other flat surfaces too large for the reach of the file, this is just the extra help you need.

The answer was given in 2017, and now you are asking again? :roll:

big-lump-of-brass-t108088.html

Thanks Andy,
I obviously didn't trawl the forum enough before posting.
I think even had I read that post back in 2017 it's obscure enough to have dropped out of my head by now...
Fascinating research and great information. I don't think mine has any markings but I'll look more closely when cleaning it up.
Thanks again, next time I have a mystery tool I know who to ask =D>

I hope my amused tone of voice came across ok - I don't seriously expect everyone else to remember the same things as I do.

And I do enjoy a good mystery tool thread.

Back