Mystery tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boringgeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
We had this as a mystery tool at the recent WA Wood Show. Nobody could tell us what it is. I have a feeling I've seen it on this forum previously but searching back twelve months couldn't find it.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Woodshow 2019 001.png
    Woodshow 2019 001.png
    659.6 KB · Views: 581
  • Woodshow 2019 002.png
    Woodshow 2019 002.png
    659.2 KB · Views: 581
Well, that's a good one, Geoff. I don't think it's for woodwork!

Can you give us a bit more description? Is it made from solid forgings like a pair of pliers or something more lightweight?
Would the hinged part in the first photo be sharp enough for it to stick into something, so it could work as a sort of third hand clamp? Does the little lump on the end of the upper jaw look deliberate or is it just the result of abuse?
Presumably the spring holds the jaws closed on a suitable size of round thing (glass tube? lead piping?) . What diameter works ok in it?
Are there any traces or residue on the jaws that might provide a clue?
What about that little hole on the lower jaw - does it have sharp edges? Is it cleanly bored to an exact round size, or just an approximately punched hole? Can you confirm that the hinged part of the lower jaw will fold right back onto the little round flat pad? Is that pad smooth or rough?

And how big is the whole tool?

looks rather scary, like some kind of horror movie surgical pliers.

Andy, unfortunately I don't have this tool with me to take more detailed photos.
The hinged arm only goes to 90 degrees, so could well be designed to fit into a hole in the bench, with the thickening forward of the spring a base while it's in that position. It's a solid forging, totally unbranded. When the jaws are closed they could hold a small glass tubing either crosswise or lengthwise the hollows being formed in both directions. The spring pushes the jaws apart.
The hook on the end of the upper arm looks deliberate perhaps if it was mounted on the bench you could tie a piece of string to it and hold it closed with your foot to free both hands for the task.
One suggestion we received, a fishermans fly tying tool. A lot guessed dentistry and some ladies over the age of 50 suggested something to do with testicles.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Back