Mystery tool another

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chisteve

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what this is the handle is high quality thought it was toilet chain handle at 1st but on close inspection it has the same makers name -Townsend Hereford it’s needs sharpening and it appears that you pull it

3AAFA8C4-2D9C-43E2-8703-1F75A798262B.jpeg2CEE019A-B0DF-4F46-A410-2270CF691EC6.jpegA9D1ADE6-A939-49FB-B7CB-57D6E5DEB2F8.jpeg

It looks a bit like a tool you would use to clean the muck/rot from animals feet, but I don't think that's it original purpose, perhaps for cutting a round channel in wood?

It is out-canal (outside bevel), so designed for cutting into a surface rather than trimming protrusions from a surface.

Handle geometry indicates a pull-cut.

Could be something for marking lumber, but they tend to be bigger and more crude.

The hoof-cleaning tool (not a hoof knife, as they are a long-curved slicing blade) seems reasonable.

A ‘Hoof groover’ search brings up a couple of images of tools that have similar proportions.

A leather or saddlery grooving tool also has similar shape and proportions.

Last edited:
There are three Townsend's listed for Hereford, my guess would be George the glove maker, it looks like a leather workers tool to me but it is just a wild guess!!!
Pigot's Commercial Directory of Herefordshire 1840 (Index)
Townsend​
Charles​
Broad Street​
Ross​
Fruiterer​
28, 29​
Townsend​
George​
Church Street​
Hereford​
Glove Maker​
11, 13​
Townsend​
William​
Eign Street​
Hereford​
Working Cutler​
11, 13​

interesting tool - nice work on the Hereford listings

the fine ebony or rosewood handle and the unusual ferrule sometimes indicates a surgical/veterinary instrument

the similar hoof trimmer or wood markers used by farriers or woodsmen would typically have a rougher handle and slightly different shape

I believe that it's a Timber Scribe, used by foresters and timber merchants to mark logs.

R A Salaman describes and illustrates it, with some variants, in his Dictionary of Woodworking Tools, Pages 484 -486

I cant recall its name but it is used for working on animals hooves, used them quite a bit back in my younger days when I studied animal welfare at college.

Back