Mystery object.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what this is what it might be for? It has lived on my workbench, in a cupboard, in a draw, on the floor and everywhere else for years. I have no idea where it came from or why I have it.
005.jpg
004.jpg
003.jpg
008.jpg

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 873
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 873
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 873
  • 002A.jpg
    002A.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 872
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 865
What angle is the slope? Is it to hold something for honing/sharpening?

Maybe start a sharpening thread if you need more replies? :-D

Glynne":6pzy4zsd said:
Possibly a holder for spoke shave blades when sharpening?

That did cross my mind but how long would the plastic bearing surface last when rubbing on a sharpening stone or other abrasive surface?

I was thinking more of just a holder rather than a guide.
For example I have a slotted piece of wood with a screw that I tighten just to hold the blade.
For the actual sharpening I freehand on either diamond stones or film.

Could be part of accessories for something like a Bosch belt sander? Mine came with all sorts of brackets, fences etc. most of which got dispersed around the workshop and never used.

Also, why are the bolts so friggin' long? You could hold a paving slab in there (if you wanted a 40 degree bevel on a paving slab, of course)

I reckon it could be an unnecessary part of a router, planer or circular saw guide which you've removed and never needed since. It look very like the bits kicking around in the bottom of my Elu planer box.

whiskywill":3uod8g12 said:
I have no idea where it came from or why I have it.

It looks very similar to the sorts of things in my box of bits that I have no idea where they came from or why I have them.

So, I just leave the bits in the box on the basis that one day I might suddenly remember.

Back