Mystery obelisk spotted... but it gets away!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty conclusive...two examples with what appears to be original irons both with that logo and both EMIR on the wood.

I hate to say definitely...because that is a killer but if Sam comes back with the same logo on that plough plane I think we may have it Toby! =D>

Jim

Yes well done for tracking it down!

I found a 'contact us' form on the current Emir company website so I've asked them if they have any more info to add.

I would still like to see some historical documentation connecting EMIR with that makers mark, but I think this may at least narrow the search for that.

Toby

I come up with this same one for Emmerich.

_small_emmrich_f_w.JPG

From here.

http://www.alte-beitel.de/marken_d.html

Toby

I know Spa Road pretty well, I used to live just off it and it's only a mile or so away now, and along some of my ways to work/north London.

The only notable chimney in Bermondsey now that I can think of is SELCHP, but that combined heat and power waste incinerator is unlikely to be celebrated in anyone's maker's mark, especially long before it was built.

Whereabouts on Spa Road is the address? If it was near the ex-station (which I know by sight, but only as an industrial estate, having missed the old signage), then lookee here:

spa_road(10.1967)2.jpg

(from http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/sp ... dex5.shtml )

Looking for other photos of that chimney took to me to site with an archive of Bermondsey photos, which reminded me that the ex-brewery which is now part of the Butler's Wharf complex is another famous Bermondsey chimney, albeit more modest in height. A bit of a stretch, it's about half a mile from parts of Spa Road I'd guess. Pretty good shape, though.

Wharf%20and%20Brewery%20across%20River%20Thames,%20Butlers%20Wharf,%20Shad%20Thames,%20Bermondsey%20(1986).jpg

edit: oh it's got a blob on the top which the mark doesn't.

I guess any industrial area can provide some suitable chimneys though.

"Belfast calling...Belfast calling.." well, with all the WWII refererences and Germanic overtones.....

RIGHT! Apologies for the late post Jimi -circumstances beyond my control. The details?

MY PLOUGH PLANE BLADE HAS THAT SAME CHIMNEY POT LOGO AND IT IS CLEARLY STAMPED "EMIR MADE IN LONDON" ON THE WOODEN BODY.

Sam

SammyQ":3x4x5qki said:
"Belfast calling...Belfast calling.." well, with all the WWII refererences and Germanic overtones.....

RIGHT! Apologies for the late post Jimi -circumstances beyond my control. The details?

MY PLOUGH PLANE BLADE HAS THAT SAME CHIMNEY POT LOGO AND IT IS CLEARLY STAMPED "EMIR MADE IN LONDON" ON THE WOODEN BODY.

Sam

Confirmation absolute FINALLY!!! Brilliant job Sam...and especially Toby! =D>

The sleuths of UKW strike again...eventually! ALF will be so pleased. She can sleep now! :mrgreen:

Jim

Actually, probably better off looking in Bonn or wherever it was. There's a good chance the blades were made there and that only the plane bodies were made by Emir in London.

Jake":ym0iyo9u said:
Actually, probably better off looking in Bonn or wherever it was. There's a good chance the blades were made there and that only the plane bodies were made by Emir in London.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well, that Emir made the wooden parts, and another maker made the metal parts. (don't forget about that cap iron)

Toby

There were of course other tool manufacturers in the area. Nurse in Walworth Rd for instance could have provided
the irons.

I've changed my mind. I do think that it's been solved. I just hate to say 'done' without that final piece of evidence.

Toby

I guess what's bothering me is that the body is marked EMIR, and the iron has a makers mark with FWE (we think). If they were made in the same place at the same time, why are they marked so differently? If you found the two separately, you would have no reason to believe that they belonged together. There are several planes out there with that combination of parts, leading us to believe that they were made by the same maker, but is that enough? If you found ten Dodges with Goodyear tires on them, would that be 'proof' enough to say that they were made by the same maker? The metal parts could have come from another maker, much like the Goodyears.

Toby

Quite so. I have an Emir jack plane (as used in many school workshops) with a Hildick iron. Hang on, let's have a closer look at it. Here it is:

IMG_0599.jpg

Definitely made by Emir:

IMG_0601.jpg

with a Hildick iron:

IMG_0602.jpg

but what's inside?

This little combo:

IMG_0604.jpg

and that's why Jimi's mark looked familiar when he first posted it, back in August last year:

IMG_0603.jpg

It was under my nose (or rather, under a wedge) the whole time!!

Ok it's evidence rather than proof, but it does fit with Emir being primarily a maker of woody bits (plane bodies, mallets, benches) and buying in the steel parts.

AH! So....Honorary Professor Andy....you had the evidence in your laboratory all this time.... :roll:

If you would just sit in this chair whilst we connect the electrodes..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually...the evidence was there before then...if you look at my original pictures of last summer...

First...exhibit A...the Bermondsey Chimney....

DSC_0508.JPG

Now....sticking out next to it in the roll we have exhibit B.....

DSC_0509.JPG

So I think....as they say in my favourite TV advert...proves they could always be found together...

DSC_0510.JPG

Best friends...as it were...

LA LA LA POO POO LA LA

Which is QED in Swahili! :wink:

:mrgreen:

Back