Mystery Lathe Tool??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Got this at the weekend with some nice planes and other bits and pieces.
Very odd hand operated thing, anyone got any ideas what it is please?

lathe-1.jpg

lathe-2.jpg

lathe-3.jpg

lathe-4.jpg

Cheers,
Martin

Looks like some kind of dividing head for a milling machine or router

Richard T
I see what you mean about the low gearing but the wheels are plastic and would not take a lot of stick..
Re dividing head there are no stop detents so I doubt that.
More thoughts please....
Martin

Hi,

Looks like piece of lab equipment.

Pete

No idea what it is, but the parts look just like the parts on a pantograph I bought from toolsntat.
Maybe send him a PM. He knows about stuff like this.

So, my guess then...... Maybe part of an engraving system......

Adam.

Yes, that does appear similar to things I've seen at toolmakers for part engraving. However, taking my work hat off that would be an ideal start to a rose engine

Aidan

I was thinking a milling part as i was looking at one similar when i was looking at milling machines but cant afford the setup

Hi,

I don't think it has anything to do with milling, it isn't built strongly enough.
I recon its part of a teaching aid for examining twisting forces on structures; we had a lab at the uni full of things that looked very much like that.

Pete

Racers":1z07v7e1 said:
Hi,

I don't think it has anything to do with milling, it isn't built strongly enough.
I recon its part of a teaching aid for examining twisting forces on structures; we had a lab at the uni full of things that looked very much like that.

Pete

I think you might be right - it could be some form of creep test rig

toolsntat":2ogrwjq1 said:
mahking51":2ogrwjq1 said:
Thanks guys, if its for engraving how would it work please?
Martin

First 38 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUtkz5Z-pBA

Titus A Duxass":2ogrwjq1 said:
Hello mate, fancy seeing you here.

Hey up there :roll: all over the place me :wink: :!: :!:

Andy

Nicely spotted. :D

The tapered end pieces looked like they might be inserts of some sort and had me wondering if it had something to do with pottery decoration. :lol: It just goes to show how far off kilter I was on that one. :lol:

Back