Mysterious hammer object

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone any ideas? Found near Kirkaldy

1635065890655.jpeg

Possibly a prop from a toy or automaton, the ‘handle’ being an attachment point.

There are a few clock automatons where a puppet comes out and hits a bell; I saw one in Prague, but I’m sure there are many.

First thought was a mangled Carpenters apron hook but maybe it's a bit small for that.
Found in a ploughed field per chance?
Cheers Andy

Ahhh, the lesser spotted curley wurley hammer. A great xmas present for chocolate lovers👍

Sorry for not having got back sooner. I've now actually seen the item 'in the flesh' and was surprised how small it is - (on my screen the 20p piece is near enough double size) - and also how good is the detailing of the hammer head.

I should have taken some measurements of the object but on the basis that the 20p is a tad over 20mm diameter, the head is well under that, but the pin must be in the order of 40mm long.

It is pretty heavy at that hammer end and would rather discourage the thought of a cuff link.

Yes, it was found in a ploughed field, and hence the mangled 'pin'!!

Anyway thanks for your suggestions - I suspect it might remain a mystery item!!
Rob

Thanks, Sachakins - I like that idea, and will pass it on to the finder. He's spoken to the lamdowner who couldn't offer an idea but that suggestion would explain the long pin, and has the possibility of a bit of historical connection to it.
Rob

Possibly a prop from a toy or automaton, the ‘handle’ being an attachment point.

There are a few clock automatons where a puppet comes out and hits a bell; I saw one in Prague, but I’m sure there are many.
I like the idea that it’s for ringing a bell, it was quite a thing in Europe to have clockwork figures moving around clocks as they struck. Ian
It may also explain the long iron shaft.

Latest posts

Back