Myford ML8 Spindle washer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhunter350

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks, Just got around to making an adaptor to fit a chuck, whilst measuring up the spindle nose [inbound] I discovered there is a fibre washer behind the faceplate , actually the same on the outboard end as well. Is this normal ? Is it mentioned in a manual ?

I found an exploded diagram on the web but no washer is shown, could not find a downloadable manual, I can only assume it has been fitted to assist in preventing anything fitted seizing on the mandrel ? However this will interfere with accuracy in relation to concentricity etc -- I do appreciate we are not looking for thou's as one would on an engine lathe.
Any thoughts ?

I have the same washers on my ML8. I have always thought, as you say, they help prevent anything seizing. The are pretty hard and fairly thick, so I don't think they would compress much so not affect accuracy?

The fibre washers were supplied with the lathe when new. They stop faceplates etc from getting locked on the threads (there were no scroll chucks when the ML8 was designed). Faceplates etc locate on the parallel part of the spindle and concentricity shouldn't be a problem (at least to wood standards)

OK thanks gentlemen, interesting that they were supplied with the machines when new. I will however machine the register counterbore in the adaptor so it will fit with or without the washer, easy to do it now whilst I have my lathe set up. I will keep the washers in place though.
Regards John

Latest posts

Back