MYFORD ML8 LATHE, PLANER BLADES.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzer

Reaction score
I have a Myford ML8 woodturning lathe with a planer attachment, I need to replace the blades on the planer but cant seem to find any to suit, they measure 4.1/2 " long x 5/8 " wide with a No.C1150 stamped on them, Any members out there with any ideas please.

hi Buzzer, I have a similar problem for a Coronet planer and have just ordered a piece of flat tool steel for an attempt on making my own blades. Mine are 4.5 inch by 1/8 thick and 7/8 wide, with two slotted holes for the securing screws. Like yours, not available anywhere. The basic shaping shouldn't be an issue, I think the main difficulty will be hardening them afterwards.
best
Gavin

Would sharpening be another option? Reason I ask is I have an old combo machine about 50tes vintage and for many years I have just been sharpening them. If they are just flat blades this works fine. Those with locating holes or slots perhaps not. Pictures of blades and cutter head would help.
Regards
John

I would try Woodford tooling or appleby woodturning. It is handy to have a spare set so you are not without whilst they are sent for sharpening.

further to above ... I just finished cutting and grinding my two pairs of blades. A length of ground flat stock O1 steel from ebay cost me just over a tenner and I have been quoted another 20 for heat treatment. I'm happy with that - I could buy plain blades for less money, but slotting the holes into hardened steel would be beyond my capabilities.
IMG_20210111_130608765.jpg

Back