Myford ml8 help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
We at Shipley and saltaire men's shed have been gifted a myfold ml8.

However it's missing a couple of pieces.

1) A chuck. Anyone know what size the thread is? Or have one going spare?

2) The bolt that holds the arm for the face turning rest is missing what size it it? Its a shade bigger than m8. But courser thread.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers James
IMG-20210928-WA0005.jpg

12 x 12 inboard. 7/8" x 12iirc l/h outboard.
If you end up buying a chuck, look at a Versachuck - if you come across a bigger and/or better lathe you will need to change only the back plate, not the chuck, carriers and jaws. The versachuck carriers take either versachuck or Axminster jaws. Versachuck wood lathe chuck. Fits most lathes. Accepts all leading jaws
You could get a back plate machined with the left hand thread and use the same chuck on the outside.

The bolt you are asking about, is the same set up as on the tailstock and tool rest slider, from memory it’s just a coach bolt that has a 1”? long short length of round bar (as a nut) that has the black adjuster screwed into the side of it.
You will see a square hole in the bottom of the face turning rest, any coachbolt that has a square shank should fit it. Ian
Edit, I may have the assembly upside down in my memory.

Yes it's a bolt mounted in the base plate.

It's a course thread bolt. 3/8 diameter approx.

Any ideas what thread it is? Then I can put it together stock rather than drilling it out for 10mm bolt and wingnut!😭😭😭

Cheers James

As for the chuck. I did see a face plate which I think a chuck will bolt too. I need to go back and confirm.

Cheers James

Yes it's a bolt mounted in the base plate.

It's a course thread bolt. 3/8 diameter approx.

Any ideas what thread it is? Then I can put it together stock rather than drilling it out for 10mm bolt and wingnut!😭😭😭

Cheers James
No sorry I don’t know what thread it is but I would bet it’s the same as the others, you could try taking one to your local friendly hardware store and try it against some known threads, or do you have a member who does metalwork?
If you are still stuck I will be back in the uk after the 10th, PM me and I can have a look for you. Ian
Seem to remember it looked a bit like this.
80A4F99F-E74E-444C-989B-652E934706F1.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had a PM from a member on another forum -
I'm very familiar with the ML8 and James was asking about the threaded part of the outboard turning attachment which unfortunately is a very unique thread, it's a triple-start Whitworth thread that's actually 6.5TPI on each start so that it tightens and loosens with a quarter turn, it's not something you can simply buy off the shelf and it would have to be made.

Wow thanks not something I would have lying around.

I'll ring myfords they may have one?!

Cheers James

I have had a PM from a member on another forum -
I'm very familiar with the ML8 and James was asking about the threaded part of the outboard turning attachment which unfortunately is a very unique thread, it's a triple-start Whitworth thread that's actually 6.5TPI on each start so that it tightens and loosens with a quarter turn, it's not something you can simply buy off the shelf and it would have to be made.
That’s quite esoteric! But it still only bolts two bits together, the top is easily accessible so if you weren’t too fussy about the quarter turn tightening it’s still doable. Ian

That’s quite esoteric! But it still only bolts two bits together, the top is easily accessible so if you weren’t too fussy about the quarter turn tightening it’s still doable. Ian
You could probably make something up with a bit of square or acme threaded bar and a couple of nuts, or even butcher a cheap cramp to do so. That would be a quicker adjustment than a standard metric thread.

It's a good lathe.

Most of the old stuff is
Sure it shouldn't be 'lumbered with a . . . '??
Better made than modern rubbish.

Looking out for a decent small footprint table saw myself.

Cheers James

Got the lathe working Dave is an expert so was good to have him take a lead.

Cheers James

Attachments

• VID-20211005-WA0005.mp4
    2.2 MB
Back