Myford ML8 Compound Slide / Saddle configuration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
Hi, I've managed to get hold of a compound slide for my Myford ML8. As per piccs attached. I think it is nearly complete and I have a spare saddle assembly however I am missing a crucial component.
I believe that all I need is a slim / low profile clamp head nut into which the clamp stud from the quick nut attaches.

Is anybody able to tell me if this is correct? Is there a relevant Myford Part No? And, importantly, is there, any prospect of finding one or having one made? and, if the latter, does anyone know what pitch/TPI is used in these?

I am hoping this is making sense and that someone with the complete set up or been in the same situation could let me know? Here's hoping, I'm frustratingly close... :cry:

ML8 Compound Slide 2.jpg

ML8 Compound Slide.jpg

Attachments

• ML8 Compound Slide 2.jpg
    ML8 Compound Slide 2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 489
  • ML8 Compound Slide.jpg
    ML8 Compound Slide.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 488
I've got one of these and I can check for you but I won't be able to look at it for a couple of days, unfortunately. I will get back to you.

Hi Trevanion,
I have today managed a work around with a 3/8" BSF nut and a large washer turned down to fit. I think this will do the trick.
So I wouldn't want you faffing around with this just to satisfy my curiosity but if you do dismantle it at any stage I'd be interested to see what the original part consisted of.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate that :)

Thanks again for the offer of help but this evening a slim clamp nut was listed on eBay, typical!

eBay item no 114320439633

At least now also know what it looks like. Now have to work out whether I think it's worth nearly £20 and offers anything over my workaround

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you bobblezard, absolutely manic couple of days :)

This is what the nut on my carriage looks like, I didn't take it completely apart but you know roughly what it looks like from the eBay listing, the only difference is that there is a slot cut into the top to allow it to be tightened with a screwdriver or a specific tool. I have no idea whether the slot is original or added later by a user.

2iP5hLK.jpg

Sounds like your BSF nut and washer will be plenty good enough for the job anyway! No need to spend £20 on a specific nut for the job!

Thanks Trevanion,
I appreciate you taking the time. I think my solution will work out. Only slight concern wood is the potential for slop/movement, I don't think this likely as not going to be generating huge forces and only affects the relationship between the saddle and the clamping block which have a large, curved meeting face. I could weld the nut to the washer to if there was a problem.
Either way the one in eBay sold quickly so saves me having to dither any further. I'll see how I get on.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back