Myblo thicknesser / planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyfaenor

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have just acquired a 'Myblo' 6" planer / thicknesser. It's a bench design and pretty small, but will probably suit my needs.

However, I have two very old hand-typed pages with it. I am new to using a planer/thicknesser, so am not sure if that is all there is for it. Given its age, it's no surprise there seems to be precious little out there in the 'net'. The Myblo Woodworking Machinery Company Ltd. has been disolved which is all that I have been able to discover so far.

Anyone got any information about this little beauty? Failing that any general advice alread here about using a planer/ticknesser that I can 'pointed at'.

Happy to post pictures, or whatever else might be needed if it would be useful, or of interest.

Thank you.

Hi- somewhat late as i have only recently joined up. I have a myblo 6 inch planer, bought new in '86, added own motor, came with a little bit of duplicated info . Cracking machine, would not part with it. I presume it's got an overhead thicknessing plate, which i do not have. What info do you need?

I have one of these and it's a very well made machine. My question is this, how is the top thicknesses plate used? It is held onto the rear bed by cam pins and in some way sets the thickness of the cut but despite scratching my head I can't figure it out.

Hi, I have an older Mybro 6" planer. The motor is dated 1961 and it's made of cast iron and very heavy. When I bought it, it came with a top thicknesses plate that holds onto the planer bed with eccentric pins. Does anyone know how this operates as I'm scratching my head. It's a good little machine and very quiet when running. Thanks Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_103632.jpg
    IMG_20230813_103632.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Hi, I have an older Mybro 6" planer. The motor is dated 1961 and it's made of cast iron and very heavy. When I bought it, it came with a top thicknesses plate that holds onto the planer bed with eccentric pins. Does anyone know how this operates as I'm scratching my head. It's a good little machine and very quiet when running. Thanks Paul

I vaguely remember that "Inca" used to make a thicknessing attachment for some of their planers . Theirs had a cradle - like yours - holding a plate above the bed, but theirs also had a strip of metal with ( if I am remembering correctly) the profile of a WW1 tank. I believe this nestled into the step at the end of the front bed that occurs when you set it at its lowest point. It had a couple of rods at each end, complete with springs' which allowed the strip to squeeze the wood up against the plate. There might even have been some thin rollers of sorts in the strip.
If you imagine the mechanism of a thicknesser turned up-side-down, then this sprung strip acted like the rollers keeping the wood pressed up against the plate.
However, the spare bit on the end of your machine doesn't look anything like this, but I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge, relevant to your particular machine, will come along shortly to offer help. Best of luck

I vaguely remember that "Inca" used to make a thicknessing attachment for some of their planers . Theirs had a cradle - like yours - holding a plate above the bed, but theirs also had a strip of metal with ( if I am remembering correctly) the profile of a WW1 tank. I believe this nestled into the step at the end of the front bed that occurs when you set it at its lowest point. It had a couple of rods at each end, complete with springs' which allowed the strip to squeeze the wood up against the plate. There might even have been some thin rollers of sorts in the strip.
If you imagine the mechanism of a thicknesser turned up-side-down, then this sprung strip acted like the rolleeping the wood pressed up against the plate.
However, the spare bit on the end of your machine doesn't look anything like this, but I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge, relevant to your particular machine, will come along shortly to offer help. Best of luck
Hi, thanks for your reply. The extra bit is the side fence which I'd just left on the top. There is a sprung strip (narrow red metal piece) as you describe and I imagined that it pushed against the underside of the piece to be planed. I thought that it might work how you described and now I'll try and use it this way. Paul
If you imagine the mechanism of a thicknesser turned up-side-down, then this sprung strip acted like the rollers keeping the wood pressed up against the plate.
Many thanks for your reply. The extra piece is the side fence I'd left on the top. There is a sprung strip as you mentioned and it has paint worn off at the top (it's the narrow red piece in the middle) I'm just not sure how to set it up but now that you've confirmed how I thought it might work, I'll persevere and practice on some scrap wood. Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20230813_103610.jpg
    IMG_20230813_103610.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back