Mybiggest project to date

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Kitchen-5.jpg

Kitchen-2.jpg

Kitchen-3.jpg

Kitchen-4.jpg

Kitchen-5.jpg

Waka

Waka,

It looks terrific- I am impressed! With that accomplished, I can see how new tools can be justifed by the barrowload! As Neil says let's have some details details!

Waka

You're obvoiusly letting your work speak for itself judging by the lack of comment in your posting. :wink:
Great work and probably saved you a fair amount over similar quality bought cupboards.

Roy

Kitchen-1.jpg

Forgot to put this one on.

Details:

A few years ago HID's wanted a new kitchen and me being fussy said only if its in hardwood. So of we went to tours all the kitchen shops, we discarded most becuase there wasn't any hardwood in site.

Have to admit that we did find some quality places that would do just as we wanted, or so they say. Everything was looking rosy, all we had to do now was wait for the quotes to come.

Duly they arrived on the mat and it wasn't long before they were in the bin, the prices were horrendous, you could but a couple of madium family cars with what they were asking.

Now HID's was getting upset, so I suggested I make the kitchen, took a bit of persuading but in the end she agreed.

During the construction I think she thought she'd made the wrong choice but when she got the finished job she was pleased.

Construction was done mainly at weekends and units were replaced one at a time. Total time for the complete job was 18 months.

Material is sycamore with maple inlays, all carcasses are 19mm and all units have full backs. Corner floor units contain the magic corner unit and floor units also contain fridge, fresser and dishwasher.

Now down to cost: All utilities in the kitchen are new, as is the floor, the worktop is not corian but the similair type that fits together so you can't see the joints.

All mine for half the price of one medium family car, £6,000. Mind you labour is not included.

Not sure how long it would take to make if I did it full time, or even if there is a market out there. any of you kitchen WW got any advise.

Waka

Waka,

I think your LOML should be congratulated too - I can just imagine my wife's mood if I had been working in her kitchen for 18 months..

Hi Waka

Thanks for the details. Now if only I can persuade my neighbour to cut down the old sycamore that hangs over my garden. :roll:

It is beautiful.

Could you please explain what a magic corner unit is?

Thanks
Neil

Waka
Really lovely job. Better make sure my wife doesn't see the pictures -she'd love a kitchen like that.
Must be quite a relief to get it finished.
Cheers
Gidon

Waka":1zy7afi0 said:
Not sure how long it would take to make if I did it full time, or even if there is a market out there. any of you kitchen WW got any advise.

Waka

I do kitchens. For solid wood fronts think in terms of quoting £1K to £1.5K per running meter for either base or wall units. There is certainly a market out there, but it is quite difficult to find punters ready to invest £15,000 plus in a tasty kitchen. One of the reasons why I went over to painted, which is very fashionable these days anyway.
I just do replacement doors, drawer fronts and worktops these days, plenty of customers out there, easy to find too. It costs £100 to get on my waiting list, which is currently 8 customers long.
As far as I know, kitchens are the only way to make serious money doing woodwork, except possibly site carpentry

John

18 months !!!!!

My wife would kill me much earlier !!!!!!

Warm congrats
Alberto

18 Months; Gotta say, HIDs is one very patient lady................. but her patience has paid off.

Very nice job M8 :)

Hi Waka
That is very clever. Never seen that one before. :shock: How about a few more details and pics. I can see that you are feeling a little modest right now but you really need to talk more about it. The rest of the kitchen looks pretty good too. :wink:

All the best

John

Neil's pic of the magic corner is a good example of that old, old question- is there such a thing as a kitchen cupboard that is big enough? The answer is, of course, no.
John

Back