MY WORKSHOP HAS TO COME DOWN AND IVE TO LEAVE MY HOME!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldylocks

Reaction score
My house has major structural defects so we have to leave for while :evil:
the workshop has to come down as it cant be insured with an unocupied house and all my toys/tools are to go into storage along with the contents of the house, our landlords insurance is footing the bill :D so what is my problem? well i'll tell you! going to a hotel for a couple of weeks is not a problem but when your looking at around 6 weeks, how the :twisted: does one cope with workshop and tool separation for that amount of time?????? :?: :!: have any other members been through this? i would like your ideas on how get by without injuring the THREE HAIRS :p

Thats terrible.

How about getting a micro-lathe? Or some woodcarving chisels?

You could get a workmate in the hotel (noone will notice honest), and practice you dovetail cuts? Find a mates garage? And setup a little in their?

Adam

Marvellous Baldylocks.

Austravel are doing flights to Australia for £299 return and its summer there. (Last time they advertised this price when I went there were passengers who had paid only £175 return during the last couple of days prior to flight date)

You never know the insurance company might not stipulate where the hotel must be situated????????????? I would try it on.

Commiserations, Baldylocks. :(

I seem to recall a galoot doing a lot of travelling took a small kit of tools with him to do a little dovetail cutting practice when far from home. Carving's another option, perhaps? The 1942 Woodworker busily promotes the joys of whittling for the "man in a billet, shelter etc", fwiw. :D

Cheers, Alf

That is really rough luck Baldylocks.

To keep you out of mischief and following Alf's idea, I suggest a couple of carving knives and a piece of lime wood. There are quite a few carvers who do the majority of their work in small sizes and handheld - a pal of mine did this that way.

congress14.jpg

thanks for the ideas were looking at a woodland reteat :D will gather wind fall wood going to buy carving tools day before departure will also buy books/dvd as not done any carving so im going to learn :shock:

as for the workshop is position in the garden is going to change and next summer is going to grow in both directions :twisted:

forgot to say thanks for moving post to right area :oops:

also just been told can have spending money for this weekends show! :D im going to run riot at the tool stalls :twisted:

workshop to go from 10'x20 to 30'x18' but i've to fund this, well you cant have it all :!: but i'll look into that one 8)

Baldylocks

Bad luck, you have my sympathy, I have to suffer this for a month at a time, my remedy is have little parcels sent to the house.

Waka how come a month at a time :?: and is it a total pack up or leave behind?

anyone else have to pack up/leave behind regular? (holidays don't count more so if you go regular) this will be our first we did not even have a honey moon :( :x plus we cant go abroad for 2 of the weeks because SWMBO says the dog cant go in kennel due to the fact that he's only a baby according to Her at 4 years old :!: WHAT A BLOW to my plans for the costa del beer :p . but to her defence she has given in to me over the workshop plans :shock: :? :eek: :lol: :D :p

Six weeks! I am three months into a six month spell away from my workshop whilst we live in an appartment in London (had to move back for work). Hopefully moving to our new house (and workshop) at the end of January - a month early as I'm driving her mad now. I keep sane by checking this website to remind me what a workshop looks like.

snip
baldylocks":sx76v9cm said:
....plus we cant go abroad for 2 of the weeks because SWMBO says the dog cant go in kennel due to the fact that he's only a baby according to Her at 4 years old :!:

He's 28 years old in human terms.....more than old enough to look after himself! In saying that though, I wouldn't argue with SWMBO on that point. She's been 21 for the last 6 birthdays :wink:

Cheers,

Howard

Six weeks! I am three months into a six month spell away from my workshop
consider yourself lucky, I am 9 months into a TWO YEAR WAIT !
Hopefully my container with my timber and machinery will be shipped to my new location in the next couple weeks :? I have only to build from scratch the new workshop. BUT I have to demolish the present set up first :? as it is too small and is in even smaller units. I will post some pics on return to ol'Blighty.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES:
my plans have just changed !
on sunday my wife spent several hours being worked on in ressus!
with neurological issues this all started around 10 am and she was stableised around 11.30pm, that was one long :twisted: day!
monday in out of consciousness/sleep, monday evening wide awake!!
from erratic brain patterns and no eye response to wide awake 24hrs later!
this was not a fitt! wrong brain patterns this was like a computer virus as her blood showed infection/poison! but this was all back to normal too!
all concerned totaly baffled!!!!

discharged late today with follow up appointment for further checks/tests!

so now it looks like we may just move full stop: lock, stock & workshop!
SHE now says lifes too short to deal with anymore of this housing rubbish!
lets just make a fresh start!! and forget this year!! sounds like a good plan to me!!!!! boy my heads in bits! soz for going slightly of subject but WOW!!

Baldylocks,
That sounds terrible and I am glad that things appear to have got back to normal. You really seem to be having a rough time of late - how did you offend the gods so much?

In any case best wishes for a speedy return to a stable pattern of life and lots of luck!

Baldylocks,

I hope your wife has fully recovered and stays that way, I know life feels when the one you love is suddenly struck down.

Thanks for your support from me and SWMBO!
I've started the packing, getting off asap! before xmas for sure so don't know when computer will go, trying to leave till very last! but will place last post just before removal... did not realise the amount of things two adults with no kids can hoard between them .... then theres the workshop that could be gutted in 2 easy days on my own if/when get storage or should i leave that to the removal company? cant decide help me please!!

Hi baldylocks,

Sorry to hear about your difficult and trying times, but it's good that you are now both able to look forward in such a positive way.

On the question of removal/storage of contents it sounds as though you don't have to bear any of the cost of this? If so, I would look for a good removal firm to do all the packing and removal for you - both house and workshop contents. As long as you have the right firm, clear about their task, this will save you an enormous amount of work and hassle, and you will still be there to supervise them. (In years gone by we have variously moved ourselves with a self-drive hire van, or packed everything in readiness for the arrival of the removal crew - hassle! But for our last move - from a house we had lived in for twenty years, imagine the clutter even after we had ditched the rubbish! - we got a removal firm in to do the lot. Marvellous). Just my experience FWIW, and it sounds as though you deserve a break.

Good luck to you both.

Cheers,

Trev.

Back