My Workshop flooded again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
After the last flood I cleaned out all drains and checked that the soak aways were working. During todays down pour I discovered the problem - I am at the bottom of the road and the drains up the road are blocked and all the water is pouring into my drive way and flooded my workshop with 2" of water. I lost some wood but all my cupboards and tool stands are on casters. Rescued a few pieces of work in progress and send a Email to the Highways Agency but don't expect any response. Figuring out how to create a drain at the entrance to prevent the water running down the drive way.
Barry

You poor sod!

This is most unfortunate! I hope you will get some form of compensation!

Best wishes,
BrianD

Hard luck, Barry. Gut feels tells me that they have a statutory duty but it will be a long hard struggle for you against the faceless bureacucrats.

Google for linear drains...they are the ones with a removeable cover...essential to be able to remove all the silt that will block them eventually. Then Google for french drains which is what you're going to have to put into your garden to soak away the water BUT...a huge BUT... you really need an unobstructed channel to take the water away from your property. The sheer volume of water will inundate (literally and metaphorically) any attempt at normal soakaways.

I had a similar problem where all the water ran off the hill behind us, down to a natural dip in the farm track the other side of the fence and then in a cascade down to our parking area and on to the house. I eventually hired a bobcat, dug three large French drains, backfilled with rubble and gravel as per instructions and overlaid with some 26mm stone. Each French drain connected up ultimately and I tapped into a land drain that ran through our property. Since the land runs away from our house down the hill, the land drain took all the water away. You might not be so lucky.

Barry,
that must be awful :cry: , I curse when I get a small leak from the ebac!.

Just a thought. Have you got gates on your drive? Could these incorporate a panels at the bottom to deflect the water away?

Andy

Barry sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't know if it would be suitable in your case, but a friend of mine who had a similar problem, crued i it by digging a large soak away, which dealt with the normal every day water, but for times when things got really bad he installed a large pump which was triggered when the water got to a certain level and this pumped it away from his workshop.

i hope that you sort the problem out

Cheers

Mike

I hope you get things straightened out with the drains up the road and manage to keep your shop dry in the future.

Have you considered that perhaps this is a sign that you are meant to be building boats? :D

Thanks to you all for the comments - I walked in to the workshop this evening and walked straight out - I will face it in the morning. The water level is down from 2 " to patches of an 1" and some areas with no water but the sand has settled. I will wait for it to dry and use the cyclone hose to suck it up. Put more bricks on the floor so all the sheet material is off the floor. Going to do battle with the council tomorrow. They had the honey suckers on the drains this afternoon. Looks helpful.
Barry

Barry, several properties in our village had this 'road spill' water problem after the last resurfacing of the lane, (no road drains) the solution by the local highways was to put a 'speed bump' dam of tarmacadam across each entrance to ensure the water bypassed the entryways.

Barry, Phone your local council and tell them that sewage is entering your property from the blocked up drains. You'll find they act P.D.Q in those circumstances.

I am waisting my time with the council - they sited once in 25 or 50 year problem - said it occurred twice in two months. No joy at present - think I will put sand bags at the garage door. Still has not dried out - the mud is getting me down. I will spend time at the weekend getting it right.
Barry

Barry, I was wrong about the local council, the responsibility in my area now lies with the local Water Company. They are obliged to act in the case of a health hazard so stress the smell of sewage.

Yep - need that "smells a bit off", then apologetically say it smells like "toilet water" or something. Normally, they are quick to act about that.

Adam

Barry,
I have just finished some work as a consultant for Manchester City Council looking at highways and other issues.

Relevance to your problem is :-
1) I belive that the council has a duty enforced by legislation to act on your complaint. I just can't recall the legislation...we would need to do some research.
2) Their response to you is just lazyness. The real problem is that they have no budget / provide no budget to do the work. The usual issue. Often they will have 10 or 20 spots which flash flood every time it rains more than one spot but can not do anything about it as the costs would be very high...hence the only once in 20-25 yrs comment.
3) I suggest you complain, to them, your councillor, your MP, the local paper, the controlling political party and be loud.
4) Keep a record of floods and keep complaining in writing.

I'm sorry for your problem and wish that the prognoisis with the council could be clearer.
regards
alan

Thanks to all - I will try the council again after doing some research and will also contact the water people in our area.
It should have dried out by Saturday. Got the RCD working today and lifted all plugs off the floor. Fixed 4 way extension plug to the wall. Two got very wet.
Barry

Back