My Workbench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

19ninety

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing too exciting, one sheet of 25mm MDF, a few lengths of 4x2" and one of 6x2" ... oh and some 32mm door stop/beading. Based on the plan here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpeNVO80kY
Recently added a Record No 53 Vice.
Will eventually add some holes for using G Clamps etc.

I would have liked to copy this design http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJoGTf6KL8s however its too big for the garage, great idea though.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,557
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,557
MickCheese":3a3s1u5n said:
jordec66":3a3s1u5n said:
The vice looks on the right to me.

19ninety, good solid bench, you'll get years out of that.

You're right I meant it is on the right and they are normally on the left.

Mick

Make your mind up!.......... :D left, right, center, whatever suits, it's a good old bench.

That's a sturdy enough bench, and should last you well.

I once had my own bench at the end of the garage, but found it awkward to start planing anything over 6 feet in length, as the end of the board would be too close to the right hand wall (In my case as I am right handed). I moved the bench against the side wall, so i had plenty of clear space at either end of the bench. What I forgot was, I would eventually be buying machinery, which all has to go somewhere! :mrgreen:
Solution? I don't make things over 4 feet long very often! :lol:

Enjoy that bench... and the best of luck. :D

Thanks for the comments folks. There is a good reason for the vice on the right, as the access door is on the left and the bench comes right up to it so the vice would get right in the way. There is just enough room where it is located to get in the and carry out planing, small stuff can be done left handed. If I find I struggle a lot I can always mount a smaller vice 1/3 of the way in from the left as a support.
I had had a similar thought to Benchwayze, but putting it on the side wall means making a more difficult floor space for everything else (gym, wood, tool box, bikes, bins etc), also if things go well eventually there is be the addition of machinery. Also having the bench at the end I have loft boarded the joists overhead, I can then drop a plastic sheet down and this stops everything getting covered in dust when routing and sanding (as it did when making the coffee table, not pleasant that stuff), makes it a lot easier to clean up after too.

Benchwayze":kafct7ia said:
That's a sturdy enough bench, and should last you well.

I once had my own bench at the end of the garage, but found it awkward to start planing anything over 6 feet in length, ..........
Enjoy that bench... and the best of luck. :D

Latest posts

Back