My thunderbird email wont work help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm in trouble as usual, thunderbird has not posted me any mail for 24 hours,asking for password and new but neither working for me.
Anyone know a good mail provider and will let me use m y existing email address with virginmedia.? and how to do it please

Thunderbird is just an email client isn't it? There's EM client that's free, but I haven't used it recently as I have free access to Outlook.

devonwoody":172run0j said:
Sorry I'm in trouble as usual, thunderbird has not posted me any mail for 24 hours,asking for password and new but neither working for me.
Anyone know a good mail provider and will let me use m y existing email address with virginmedia.? and how to do it please
John, Thunderbird setup is on your machine, changing to another mail client will be no different to thunderbird regarding retrieving emails.

You need to check your mail settings:-
Go to:- TOOLS > Account Settings

Then check your vmail account settings and password settings

Thunderbird is the postman, it goes off to the sorting office, gets a copy of your post and brings it to you.

So, as others have said, under tools, accounts, server settings make sure it goes to the right shelf in the right sorting office. The virgin media help pages will have a how to page for pop3 or imap, it's quite likely your turnpike settings have got mangled.

But first you can go look at the sorting office yourself and see what's there using webmail. Webmail doesn't bring it to your machine it just let's you look at it, I use it a lot when I am travelling because you can use it from laptop, phone, ipad, someone else's computer.

Again, virgin media help pages will tell you the webmail settings and you can use your normal browser ( chrome, Edge, whatever) to go look. Virgin might not have the facility but I would be surprised if not.

No need to make changes to your email, just get the postman (turnpike edit, thunderbird) doing the job properly.

I would use webmail to see if anything is there, then try and fix turnpike. Edit tbirf

One thing that can mess up collection is time and date on your pc. Normally that's set automatically but if it's wrong the mail server (sorting office) can't work out when you last came.

Another thing might be a full mailbox. If turnpike tbird never deletes email from the sorting office, virgin might be rejecting incoming because the box is full. Send an email to yourself and see what happens.

I've used thunderbird for years to collect from various sources and had very few problems.

Sorry, for turnpike read thunderbird, not used turnpike since demon dropped it years ago.

This is a common problem for Gmail users where Thunderbird is classed as a less secure app.
If this is the problem, & I suspect it might be, you will have to log in to your Virgin email account & turn on 'less secure apps' somewhere in the settings. If no apps are listed, log out.
Now try Thunderbird again & you should get a window asking you to log in to Virgin, then it should ask you to verify you are using Thunderbird.
That's the system for Gmail so hopefully the same for Virgin.

Back