My thicknesser has munched its innards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Fox F22-561 lunchbox thicknesser which has munched its feed roller. It is 7 or 8 years old, worked fine for my needs, was cheap and did what I needed. Fixing it would be preferable but finding spares is looking unlikely following email enquiries so will probably need to replace - hence some advice needed.

Feed roller.jpg
  1. There are limited second hand options mainly due to the shortage of machines - so will probably buy new. I appreciate old iron from an engineering perspective, but space, weight, etc make it unattractive.
  2. As a lunchbox has met my needs (hobby, occassional use) I don't think I need to upgrade to a larger planer thicknesser at £1000+.
  3. Should I consider a small planer thicknesser. I have an old time served small planer which I would be happy to lose with a combined machine.
  4. Is changing mode a pain. The thicknesser doesn't seem to have in/out feed tables, and being located below the planer tables makes access more difficult.
  5. Machines with ~300mm capacity all seem very similar (feed rates, in/out tables, noisy, size etc) but at quite different prices. Looking at parts drawings they frequently use precisely the same components often with just a changed paint job or handle.
  6. Is the DeWalt really twice as good as (say) the equivalent Lumberjack. Or is it just branding and/or spares/service back up.
Any and all views, thoughts, opinions appreciated - what type of machine, brand, good/bad experiences etc. Otherwise I continue to vacillate!

Thanks

It looks like the rubber coating on the feed roller has debonded from the drive. There are companies on line who can recover these for around £60 so may be worth doing if that is all that is damaged

I have a Fox F22-561 lunchbox thicknesser which has munched its feed roller. It is 7 or 8 years old, worked fine for my needs, was cheap and did what I needed. Fixing it would be preferable but finding spares is looking unlikely following email enquiries so will probably need to replace - hence some advice needed.

View attachment 119885
  1. There are limited second hand options mainly due to the shortage of machines - so will probably buy new. I appreciate old iron from an engineering perspective, but space, weight, etc make it unattractive.
  2. As a lunchbox has met my needs (hobby, occassional use) I don't think I need to upgrade to a larger planer thicknesser at £1000+.
  3. Should I consider a small planer thicknesser. I have an old time served small planer which I would be happy to lose with a combined machine.
  4. Is changing mode a pain. The thicknesser doesn't seem to have in/out feed tables, and being located below the planer tables makes access more difficult.
  5. Machines with ~300mm capacity all seem very similar (feed rates, in/out tables, noisy, size etc) but at quite different prices. Looking at parts drawings they frequently use precisely the same components often with just a changed paint job or handle.
  6. Is the DeWalt really twice as good as (say) the equivalent Lumberjack. Or is it just branding and/or spares/service back up.
Any and all views, thoughts, opinions appreciated - what type of machine, brand, good/bad experiences etc. Otherwise I continue to vacillate!

Thanks
Although I've just bought mine so can't comment on reliability, the Triton TPT125 is recommended by several on this forum Help buying quality wood.

If you fancy a road trip..... it'll probably sell fast

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-214459_Gumtree.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-214459_Gumtree.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 40
Here is an interesting head-to-head. Full article here. You take all these reviews with a pinch of salt, but the end result was this.

thicknesser.JPG

The Triton TPT125 did very well considering the price.

I think you've have paid at the time about 250, so for 8 years thats been £31/ year so its pretty much paid for itself by now. Plus its seen the work, parts are worn, motors been put through its paces and nothing lasts forever
The triton for example is £300. All new and shiny, so maybe time for a replacement

I kinda agree that if you replace or can replace that roller there could likely be other ware that is yet to show itself. I was in a similar position with a 10 year old thickie with worn rollers that had me pushing everything through. As I reckoned I had had my moneys worth out of it I gave it away to someone keen enough to try get a few more years out of it. As they say life is too short.
Regards
John

Ive no idea where you could get the rubber coating replaced and wonder would you need to give them the spec as to how thick is should be ie does it matter if its not exact?
It seems Dart Tool Group based in Scotland look like the manufacturer and sell them as others do I would try them before anything else

View attachment 119885

Thanks
Hi that fox f22 561 is the best little thicknesser in my workshop. I would buy another to get that quality. I notice a company in Scotland is selling them on eBay for £460. I also have a fox planer thicknesser but I never use the thicknesser as the F22 is so superior in its finish for cabinet making.

I would suggest you call up a local printer and ask where they have their rollers rebuilt. It might take a few calls, but printers do it all the time, so they may be able to recommend a place to do it. I hare had many rollers for makita 2040 planers rebuilt that way here in Calgary. The folks I use also have a machine shop and have remade shafts!

Eric

Back