My Square Edge Revolution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that getting my machines set and kept set for accurate cutting has always been an issue for me, this coupled with my inability to cut a straight line has caused some accuracy issues over the years. I do get there in the end but I decided to try once and for all to reduce the "fiddling" time.
Following some research on this forum I decided to go down the shooting board route for the first time, finding Derek's (Perth) web site was a brilliant help and a big thanks must go to him.
Excellent excuse to buy a LN no.9 also.
Shooting board built, No.9 bought, all edges now square why didn't I do it this way years ago?
Brilliant & easy solution.

Rob
IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

Mod Edit: img links

My shooting board lives more or less within constant reach of the bench and I certainly wouldn't be without it. The No9 is an excellent choice for a shooter but the extra mass of the LN51 and the skewed blade makes it a better choice (if the caveat of £sd is disregarded) - Rob

I did actually try the LN51 along side the No.9 but it just didn't feel quite right for me.
So I decided on the ramped board to compensate a little for the lack of a skewed blade.
IMAG0300.jpg

Many don't stop to think that the No. 51, beautiful as it is, is strictly a right-handed plane. This isn't too much of an issue for squaring ends of stock, but it is a major consideration for mitering. if your stock cannot be flipped over (think of a molded picture frame), how do you cut the "left" hand miter with a No. 51? A No. 9 is completely reversible, so you can have ramps or chutes on either side of your board, no problem.

To be boringly realistic the No. 51 is just a wild extravagance, even more so as you need two of them! Any sharp jack plane will do perfectly well as a shooting plane.

Latest posts

Back