My Spine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you my have noted that I have made reference to my back problem and how I could have spent the money on tools ( so far £ 2 grand). Well yesterday I had an MRI I had to keep still for 20 minutes, not easy. Today I saw the consultant and basically my back is a bit of a mess. Its 1" shorter than it was 30 years ago due to shrinkage of the ligaments between each vertebrae, but also on 3 of the vertebra the bone surrounding the nerve has grown smaller (due to an earlier trauma) and presses on the nerve which causes light pain to an impossible level depending what I have done. This afternoon I had a procedure carried out that injects steroids right inside the spine ( a bit uncomfortable), this may or may not work but it will indicate what happens next. This may have to be, as he put it, several sized burrs with a surgical black and decker to remove bone inside the vertebrae. Sounds a lot of fun :cry: . The reason I mention all this is woodworking particularly hand planning can put a lot of strain on your back and if you do have continuing problems do not ignore it get help, like a lot of things the earlier the better.

how extremely odd newt. I had an MRI on my back yesterday after waiting a very very long time. Although my results could be 2 weeks :(

Good luck with it all, I know what it's like to have a bad back take over your life.

Thanks for explaining that, Newt - I'm sure it's helpful to share information about problems like yours. I sincerely hope that they are able to come up with some sort of solution.

Very best wishes :wink:

Paul

Huh, bit late for me I think at 52. I did have some acupuncture on mine and it did ease the pain for a while. At the moment mine is fine again but I do have to watch what I do as I can easily put it out again. I have managed with it for around ten years now so I am resigned to the fact it is as good as it will get. :(

Some of you may be wondering why I am paying for this. I could not get med insurance as I have had a problem for 30 years and they will not pay up if it involves a previous condition. You have to remember they do not really like paying up at all. The second is that my son is a doc and he suggested if you can afford it at least get the diagnosis done privately. It does feel like que jumping but you really have to pay a lot, so I am using some of my retirement money. Also I have been in so much pain and I mean enough to want to not wake up, my GP could only promise 6 months at least.

lke others here in this posting, I too suffer from a bad back, curtesy of HM Govt. and the fact I wore green for 16 years :shock: gawd was it that long :?
So between jumping outta good servicable planes :lol: and jumping the odd 6' foot wall :lol: I now am paying for it. As the Govt. did not issue any of us with a health warning hazard then :?

I am now waiting for my MRIscan, as I was abroad for the last appointment :roll: :oops:
Typical the UK invented the damn machine but one has too wait 18 months to get into one.

Well enough of a rant, I wish ANY1 here ion UK Workshop no pain in their back and a fun filled life.

HS, sleepless in East Friesland.

having been cured of scoliosis without surgery some 10- 12 years ago, i am not a fan of doctors, surgeons etc, most of their actions seem to be
optomistic to say the least, and from what i have seen not to good long term.

frankly newt i would spend your money on a really good sports osteopath
and get him/her to give you a proper going over.

whilst i respect your son the doctor, from personal experience over many years, frankly i have little faith in bone doctors, unless, that is that they have real experience in sports injuries. here speaks someone who has seen pro motorcyclists before and after injuries.

back pain hurts, but surgery will screw you up, and not provide the relief you need to use a hand plane. check the height of your bench and see whether modifying the position you use helps. last few days, after some hand planing i have experienced some back pain, but can't be sure it is due to the planing, since i have other problems too :roll: not least a heart :lol: and the tablets for that may be causing some of the problems.

anyway good luck mate, but seriously try an osteopath who deals in sport injuries.

pm if you want more info

paul :wink:

back pain may also not be necessarily related to the back.

I got married in January and my dad flew over from canada (a lovely wood house) and arrived here with back pain.

Git back to Canada about 4 days later and went to see his doctor. In the UK he's a nurse (or was fro 45 years) so backpain is part of the job fromhis era so probably would have been overlooked. Private healthcare in Canada meant he had all kind of treatments and checks and was very quickly diagnosed with and Abdominal Aortic Aneurism (AAA), which if left undiagnosed can rupture, resulting in about a 20% of living through it.

The aneurism is about 5-6cm and was pressing on his spine, hench the backpain.

So if you have a pain (anywhere) get it checked, your body is trying to tell yuo something

Hey Newt

Hope the latest treatment helps. I've had 3 major health problems in the past 2 1/2 years, and it can wear you down a bit.
Hope this doesn't end your planing career - the most enjoyable part of building furniture (for me anyway :oops: )

I deliver training in kinetic (manual ) handling techniques.

Main problem as I see it - we all use our backs incorrectly ( I try to teach the correct way - not rocket science!) and because each poor movement slowly causes a bit more damage it's too late (the damage is done) by the time your back starts playing up.
As folks here find, it starts catching up on you as you get older. Don't be too smug if you don't suffer - chances are, one day you will.

I'd go along with the suggestion of considering a decent oestopath.

Also the message that if your back hurts don't ignore it.

Pete, good news that at least they know what's going on and have a plan of attack to use on it - everything crossed that you can avoid the B&D and the burrs... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Fellas, I feel for you!
Good luck with whatever course of action you favour.
Here's hoping you are back to full "planing mode" very soon.
Don't rush it though, please!!
Best wishes.

SF

Hi lads i know exactly how you feel,I was told 8 weeks wait for an MRI,was surprised when i got a letter asking me to attend a private clinic in 10 days time for an MRI due to an arrangement they had with the NHS. However i had to wait 5 months for an NHS consultant appointment to tell me the results.while not yet haveing the results i continued with the heavy manual job i had and as a result i further injured myself while lifting and am now in constant pain and can only walk a few yards at a time useing crutches.

Latest posts

Back