My second little project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a new 3D TV and 3D blu-ray player last week (happy xmas to me) and thought ai would make a new a/v cabinet to house it all.

I had some oak left over from my kitchen, and this is what I came up with.
hi-fi cabinet 001.jpg

hi-fi cabinet 002.jpg

I laminated two 27mm planks to make finished 50mm x 50mm legs.

I purchased a small piece of acoustic cloth from the 'bay and attached this to a timber frame with mitre adhesive (this worked really well) for the bottom hole. This covers my centre speaker (the grille has long gone and it looked a bit 'used').
hi-fi cabinet 003.jpg

All internal timber is PAR whitewood from my builder's merchant.

I left the back open and didn't put full shelves in to keep airflow around the amp to a maximum.

Knobs are from Screwfix, it's finished with matt Osmo Polyx wax oil.

Total material cost £60.

Attachments

• hi-fi cabinet 001.jpg
    hi-fi cabinet 001.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,395
  • hi-fi cabinet 002.jpg
    hi-fi cabinet 002.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,396
  • hi-fi cabinet 003.jpg
    hi-fi cabinet 003.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,394
Hi, Pond

Very nice, tv looks a bit small, can't quite make it out :wink:

Cracking price.

Pete

Nice design and nicely made

However on a personal note

The left hand door hinges do this piece no favors :(

and If I were making it I would have put the 2 knobs on the left hand doors in the center to match the draws

Thanks for showing us :ho2

FYI I don't think it's advisable to put A/V equipment in the same unit as speakers. The vibrations aren't good for it, not sure how much it damages it, but it's always the advice I've followed. Good use of leftover materials though Pond. :)

Cheers _Dan.

Hi, Pond

Don't worry about electronics and speakers, all TV's have speakers in and so do active speakers, subwoofers etc.

Pete

I agree with the flush hinge comment, however, I had a load of cheap hinges (Screwfix; they really are cr*p, that's why I didn't use them in my kitchen) left over and I don't like to spend money when I don't have to!! :oops:

I see the point of siting the knobs in the centre of the cupboard doors, however, they are a darned sight easier to open as they are, as they have roller catches.

With regard the speaker, hi-fi comment. Pretty much all speakers are shielded these days, so there is no issue there. The feet of the speaker are isolated too, to reduce vibration. It sounds excellent, thanks to messrs Cambridge Audio and messrs Castle speakers and B&W!

The TV is the latest 'invisible' type!! :?

Pond":2y2evnd3 said:
I agree with the flush hinge comment, however, I had a load of cheap hinges (Screwfix; they really are cr*p, that's why I didn't use them in my kitchen) left over and I don't like to spend money when I don't have to!! :oops:
I agree with Blister's comment about the hinges...the viewers eye is immediately drawn to them and whilst you've saved a bit of cash you've ultimately 'cheapened' (if that's the right term) a reasonable looking project. There's always a temptation to use bits and pieces left over from other jobs, but unless they're absolutely right, it's usually a mistake, as in this case. Were it mine and I'd done the same thing, I'd be forever looking at it and wishing that I'd used decent quality hardware...it would irritate intensely :evil: However, once a job is 'dun' it's 'dun' and in my book at least, there's no going back, so whatever errors and goofs are on the piece, I have to live with them and I guess in this case...you will too.
The drawer pulls look OK to me but appear to be brass...I'd have used simple oak pulls - Rob

Very nice for only a second project. Look forward to seeing the third. :)

If this is what you class as a "small" project then, I'm certainly keen to see one of your 'larger' projects! ;-)

Back