My router's broken!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I had an accident with my trusty Trend T9 last week. :oops:

The aluminium spindle lock cover sheared off when I started the router. The knob and spring attached to the spindle locking pin had fallen off. I realise now that this spring is designed to pull the pin out of the spindle as soon as the latter starts to rotate. The spindle locking pin had continued to engage the spindle on start up, and the starting torgue had caused it to forced off part of the cover, effectively splitting it in two. My carelessness - should have checked the knob!

Anyway, I am having no luck finding a spare part (Trend Ref WP-T9/026), I contacted Trend and they said that they have very few spares left for the T9 - certainly not the above cover, which they said had been subject to numerous failures. They added that since the T9 was discontinued in 2006 and the manufacturer that supplied them (Italian firm Felisatti?) has apparently ceased trading there is now no chance of acquiring any more spare parts.

Does anyone know where else I could find any spare parts? I've tried a few on-line powertool suppliers with no success. Although they display lists of T9 spares, the above part is often absent, and one firm that did list it said that they didn't keep stock and would have to order it from Trend ....

I've tried e-bay and there's nothing

So, I'm faced with chucking out an otherwise perfectly good router. :-({|=

I guess the next stage is to start reading some of the the reviews and discussions on this forum (T11, DW625, Triton, F****L ...).

The missus says my new avatar should be RouterMuppet, and on seeing the cost of a new one she is not pleased!

Les

There was another manufacture who had a clone of the T9. I think it was orange so I guess it was CMT? Only difference would be the colour so you could try them.

I think there's one on eBay in Chester. Sorry can't get the web link from my phone but search for cmt router, there's only 2. A 625 clone and a T9.

Dom

Thanks for the e-bay link.

The CMT-badged router from Chester is identical to the T9, and was briefly marketed by Axminster a couple of years ago. I phoned Axminster about spares but they couldn't help.

I'll watch this one, but it depends on final bid price i.e. when to give up and go for a new one.

Les

Dom

You're right - Metabo did sell the T9 under their own brand label. I've just visited their UK site but it's no longer listed.

Anyway, it looks like you have to visit one of their service centres for spares or repairs. I can't even get into their on-line spare parts lists as you have to enter the code from the (Metabo) machine's rating plate. No joy there! :evil:

I've just visited CMT's Italian website. Their T9 clone isn't mentioned anywhere. So no joy there either. :evil:

Guess what - CMT will be marketing a couple of Triton lookalike routers soon!

Les

Hi Les,

Is it possible for your to post up some good pictures of the broken part? Can't promise anything but i might be able to find something.

Richard.

Hi Richard
Here are some photos:

t9partexplodedview.jpg

An ... ahem ... 'exploded' view of the spindle lock cover and other bits.

t9spindleparts.jpg

Another view of the same.

Thanks

Les

Dom

I do have the Trend manual, and the part number on their parts diagram (WP-T9/026) refers to the aluminium casting only (- the other parts have separate numbers). The cost - assuming I could have found one in stock - would have be about £15 plus P&P, so that was worth pursuing.

Thanks for posting the link to the Metabo site. Just found it. Their diagrams shows the entire assembly, hence the high price.

I'll bookmark this page, but it's now looking expensive ...

Les :-k

Hi,

I've had a good look through the 'router graveyard' this morning and cannot find anything that matches up. Hope you find one!

Regards,

Richard.

Since this model has been obsolete for so long I wouldn't have thought their would be much call for spares. If they have it in stock, why not email them with a cheeky £ offer on the part. I'm sure it's just taking up shelf space anyway. The worst they can say is no.

You could contact a local model engineering club, that would be trivial to machine in a home workshop, and you might get it done for very little. You would need to specify aluminium, but that is commonly used.

Is it aluminium or pressure diecast zinc alloy? If you have no success buying or having a replacement part made I would try bonding the broken parts with an industrial glue, epoxy or similar. Provided the mating faces are really clean you may be able to repair it. The mating surfaces don’t look to be very wide and it may be necessary to reinforce the glued joints with metal dowels or small nuts and bolts or, if no room for them, a metal plate(s) glued and pinned to bridge the fracture line. Loctite sell various grades of epoxy and degreasing cleaners. Henkel/Loctite would advise best adhesive and whether it was possible. Worth a try.

Graham

Guys

Sorry for not replying earlier - I've been away for the past couple of days.

But many thanks for all your advice. I don't think the existing aluminium casting can be repaired with adhesive - also, some of the underside 'ring' has disintegrated. I guess I've still got a couple more attempts to find a spare. However, it's more likely I'll have to buy a replacement, and a T11 is looking quite attractive ...

I'll keep you posted.

Les

Guys

I promised an update on my spares quest. In the end, I decided to get a new router. Having looked through some of the many related posts on this forum, I very nearly bought a De Walt 625, which is on offer at Axminster (and included a fine height adjuster). But by chance, I found out that Toolite are offering the Trend T11 for not a lot more (still on offer today). So I've just taken delivery of one .

The T11 is an improvement over the T9 in many ways, especially the on-off switch, a better spindle lock (!), and of course its fine height adjuster which can be operated above the table. OK, I know that some users have complained about it not being particularly smooth in operation, but it will still be easier than having to grope around under the table as I used to do with the T9.

Routermonster returns! :D

Cheers

Les

Back