My router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I am going to buy a mid-priced router table and have a Bosch POF1100E quarter inch router. I have never had a proper router table before so I am a bit in the dark, My main concern is will my router fit. I am assuming they all have a universal mounting system. This may sound stupid but I have seen a Ryobi router table but will it only take Ryobi routers, I suppose it is the same with Dewalt, Makita etc. The other question I would like to ask, do router tables come with a built in height adjuster, if not could I buy one. My problem is I am disabled and bending down to get under the table is not an option for me. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Geoff.

Hi geoff some router tables have universal mount holes but if none work with your router then simply drill some extra holes in the the right place. If a router table has a a built in height adjuster they would make if very obvious in the description or specs because it would be a major selling point of the table. There will aways be manufactors who design products to only work with their other products. HTH

Hello Geoff,

I'm not familiar with your router, and all I can find in the catalogue is what might be an equivalent - the POF1200AE. The main point is that it seems to have no fine height adjuster, and that is a big drawback when you're using a table. Axminster sell a "router elevator" but it's expensive (£175). A far cheaper alternative would be to get your hands on a second-hand half-inch router that either has, or will take, a height adjuster and that has a quarter-inch collet included.

With a router table, you sometimes need to extend the reach of the cutter, and a half-inch collet extension is available. I've never seen one for a quarter-inch router, probably because you don't want a cutter so far from the bearing on a quarter-inch shank.

Edwin

You can get a 1/4" extension for a router but I wouldn't advise it. I also wouldn't advise a 1/4" router for table use either, I would go for a 1/2" in a table for the extra beef of the cutters and the extra power. HTH. :wink:

I have a triton TRA001 router , or TRB001 depending where you're looking, which comes with an above table winder for height adjustment I find it very useful. You can get a new one for around £200 but there might be some 2nd hand ones on ebay. The smaller version, MOF001, also comes with the height adjuster, for around £160. Also the triton allows for above table router bit changes.

Many thanks for all your advice, really grateful. I forgot to explain. I thought my 1/4 router would do the trick, all I will be using it for is to put a round over on items I have made on the scroll saw and I suppose the thickest hardwood i will be using is half an inch and a lot round about a 1/4 inch. It is a real pain in the proverbial as I did not really want to splash out on another router, it would just add that finishing touch to items in the main up to 8 x 4 inches.

Geoff

You could, if you don't ever want to work with anything heavy, mount your router in a table. Rather than buy, build your own top and hinge it at the back. That way you can lift the table to change bit height rather than bending over. The pieces you are working on are small in length so you wouldn't need a large table top. A couple of sheets of mdf glued togetheror maybe a kitchen worktop offcut.t.

Strikes me that the scale of what you need doesn't make the purchase of another router essential. Although the proviso being that a 1/4 router is not going to man enough for anything but the lightest work.

Regards

Richard

Many thanks Richard. If wit was s**t I would be constipated. You have come up with the ideal solution. I would never have thought of a hinged table top and it is such an obvious answer to my problem. I will be going to the boot fair on Sunday so I will pick up a small table if I can as long as I can see that the top will come off, there are always loads of coffee type tables there and if need be I can always put an additional MDF top on without any problems. As you said, being hinged it will be a doddle to adjust the height of the cutter. Yes, I am only making small things that i sell at craft fairs. As an example i made some trivets today, or large coasters with little cut out designs in the corners and it would have been nice just to round over the square edges, they are 10mm thick and 150 x 100mm. Thanks again Richard for such a brilliant idea. I will let you know how I get on.

Geoff.

Be careful if using a Ryobi Table, or others maybe, you can't drill just anywhere to suit your Router. Says he who found out the wrong way, :)

Geoff

Glad I could help. I'm sure you can sort it. Make sure you use something solid for the top and I suggest a catch of some sort to hold it firmly in place. Even your small router will kick up some serious vibration.

Regards

Richard

Latest posts

Back