My reaons for leaving UKW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake":3377u91f said:
ankledeep":3377u91f said:
Noel":3377u91f said:
As for the HRA ...IF and I do say IF (as above) that particular post and the stated quote from it are relevant....then so is the HRA. (At the least as a guide to what is acceptable or not).

Noel has said that post was not in fact the reason.<although the current convo between SBJ and Louise would tend to contradict that>> But even if that wasn't the case, the HRA would still be completely irrelevant, as only state and quasi-state bodies are bound by the HRA by definition and UKWorkshop is not an organ of the state. <True, however read again what I said ...as a guide as to what is acceptable>>

Ignoring that very fundamental point, although it would breach fundamental human rights for a state body to prevent someone from saying that Dagenham is a shithole because it is full of Blister-alikes (or whatever other category of human one chooses to substitute for that) that does not mean that the state is obliged to ignore the fact that someone was on (hypothetically) on record as hating white Essex people when appointing, say, magistrates to the Romford Magistrates Court. <erm....wrong...They ARE obliged to ignore said fact....If it was proveable that they took into account his unpopular opinion, and excluded him from this post because of that then YES they would be open to a HRA abuse writ and yes...I suppose it is a bit nutty .

That would just be stupid, and although people are fond of saying the law is an ass, they are usually looking at their reflection when they do so.

The HRA is irrelevant, totally so. At least that much is clear!

Quote Noel...."And if being a mod is god like, I'd make sure it rained all day in Cheshire tomorrow. : )"

I thought you already had....all last week.....

Dudes! Its the internet, take a break from the keyboard fighting its a little bit sad.

@Blister, are you on WoodWorkUK or The Haven? I've sorta made the move to the Haven recently as it seems to be where the old UKW crowd are these days.

Chems said:
Dudes! Its the internet, take a break from the keyboard fighting its a little bit sad.

I couldn't agree more. Look folks, some of the heat is coming from a few more recent joiners and as the good Dr mentioned, this happens every year or so where a prolific poster takes offence at something (sometimes justified), posts a big "I'm leaving" thread that often seems a bit attention seeking to me, much better to just stop posting.

Nearly always they return but often in a "better - IMO" lower profile posting style. This is still the best general hobbyist UK woodworking site out there and the content history contains a wonderful library of information.

Sorry to see you go Blister you are in general a net contributor to the community and thanks for the extractor!

Jacob":21bmdb2j said:
Harbo":21bmdb2j said:
Sorry to hear you are leaving Allen especially as this was instigated by a person who has probably been banned more times than most
Nowt to do with me - I was a late comer to the party. I instigated nothing. You wouldn't know this as others' posts were deleted. Blister was not on my radar - I don't go into the turning forum much at all.
I wouldn't wish blister to leave either - I've no objection to talking to people I don't agree with; I enjoy it!

Maybe I'm wrong Jacob but that seems hard to swallow as the first post I read was yours condemming blisters comments about Dagenham and the fact he was to be a mod and suggesting WWW was going down the pan again. (not a quote but pretty much what you infered). Strange that the preceding post to yours was dated 2009.

A member who I didn't recognise (from Scotland I think)posted next and took you to task in her post for dredging up a 2 year old thread and she told you to "give the guy a break" .

I posted next offering congratulations to Blister and telling this previous poster she was wasting her time and that you were pot stirring.

Next time I logged in the posts and thread were gone so don't know what came next but what I saw makes you a part of it.

If the mods really want to clear the air they should restore the whole thread, locked and read only then every member could make an informed opinion instead of guesswork - but it isn't going to happen - is it?

Blister

I'm really sorry to see you go as I for one have gained from your posts and UKW will be the loser for your departure - best wishes!
I think the decision is shocking and that the mods have made a mistake

Bob

ankledeep":2wnbyllb said:
Jake":2wnbyllb said:
Noel has said that post was not in fact the reason.<although the current convo between SBJ and Louise would tend to contradict that>>..........

Just to make it clear, there is no convo between me and the crazy cat lady. I made a comment, she had an opinion on that comment and has posted her objections. :wink:

I forgot about the conspiracy theories, the "law" being quoted and the "air your dirty washing". Even Charley posting, must be a serious one. However all going as expected so far...... a few have threatened to leave but they won't.
Blister will still be following the thread............ hello Blister.... he will decide to return due to the support on show.

I don't understand what all this fuss is about .... maybe a few of you should use this opportunity to enrich your lives and try and see what is important and what isn't. This is an internet forum, try and get out a bit more, even if it's just to the end of your garden and back, little steps and all that.....

I'm amazed to find some defending the comments made by Blister. I'm not sure why Noel seems to indicate there was some other reason for his removal as Mod?

If I were to announce my departure from UKW because "there are too many of our ethnic friends", i'm pretty sure that nobody would be saddened by my departure. Yet in the context of his comments it's ok?

Nobody hung Blister out to dry when he made the initial comment. He was simply viewed as a bigot. But when that bigot is given Mod powers, it's a different matter.

Karl

Karl":3ob2f40n said:
I'm amazed to find some defending the comments made by Blister.

So am I, this is a text book example of cognitive dissonance, where people are prepared to entirely overlook some casual racism because it doesn't fit in with the rest of their belief set about an individual. Amazing insight into the human mind that people will block out a conflicting piece of information just to allow the status quo to be preserved.

Charley":j1o86cxb said:
I would like to ask that before this thread gets any more heated that you please take a step back, don't jump to your own conclusions. The decision was made by the moderating team and myself and nobody else.

We're upset that Allen has decided to leave however can obviously understand how he must feel.

The situation wasn't handled very well by us at all but we do stand by our final decision. It certainly wasn't a nice decision to have to make especially after such a short space of time and we could of dealt with it better for which we apologise. As Noel has already mentioned, the whole situation is regrettable.

That you didn't handle the situation very well is an understatement and if noel thinks the situation is regrettable it hasn't stopped him from posting flippant comments about it.

The mods have acted disgracefully.

Peter

Is it racist to have an opinion? I would say not if it has no malicious intent, we all have things we dislike or which annoy us. I personally have a hatred for politicians and think they serve us no good, this doesn't make me an anarchist.
The beuty of forum based discussion is that we get a wide range of contributors with different experiences and beliefs coming together to share a common passion. We can't always agree on everything, but it is a shame when someone's personal beliefs are used as a tool to undermine them and leave them feeling that there is no alternative but to leave the community. This to me is bullying.
Now I feel it is time to leave this discussion, it is obvious that the moderating team are not going to give any answers or otherwise justify their decisions, and Blister has made up his mind to leave the forum so nothing can be gained from dragging this topic further down.
I do think we have lost a wealth of information in this event.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

deserter":3qd2mj1z said:
Is it racist to have an opinion?
It's racist to have a racist opinion
I would say not if it has no malicious intent,
Racist opinions are by their nature malicious
we all have things we dislike or which annoy us. I personally have a hatred for politicians and think they serve us no good, this doesn't make me an anarchist.
Dunno. Stepping in that direction!
The point is - we may well have 'ethnic friends' as members on this forum, I hope we do, but that would make Blister unsuitable as a mod. It's very simple.

Mr Ed":1plzipt0 said:
Karl":1plzipt0 said:
I'm amazed to find some defending the comments made by Blister.

So am I, this is a text book example of cognitive dissonance, where people are prepared to entirely overlook some casual racism because it doesn't fit in with the rest of their belief set about an individual. Amazing insight into the human mind that people will block out a conflicting piece of information just to allow the status quo to be preserved.

You are right, you seem to have blocked out the fact that this is not about racism, noel said that wasn't the reason, so unless he was lying, you are wrong.

For a team of mods to invite someone to be a mod without doing due diligence is careless. They must have thought that Blister was mod material and should have backed their original instinct with support for him.

Peter

I agree the thread should now be locked. It is no longer serving a purpose.

Blister has decided to leave the forum, and has explained why. Whether or not we like the decision or agree with it, is unimportant. We must accept the man's decision and allow him to move on.
The mods, whatever our personal opinions, do not have to explain their decision - nor make public any private discussions with individuals.
This is not democracy, it is an internet forum. Any attempt at democracy would end in chaos. Unfortunately there are times when transparency is simply not possible.

Stop, take a deep breath, count to ten, move on.

I think it is indeed time to bring this thread to a close. Most have voiced their opinion, rightly or wrongly. It will close shortly.

Noel":153ryurh said:
I think it is indeed time to bring this thread to a close. Most have voiced their opinion, rightly or wrongly. It will close shortly.
And that is exactly why this sort of discussion will repeat itself on here every now and then. I have often thought this forum was over-moderated and over-regulated, and I've lost count of the number of threads that have been deleted. And for what reason? Probably because in the past some people have been given hats to wear and can't resist the temptation to wield a bit of power. The more petty rules you make, the more will get broken.

Charley":15yfbt6t said:
.... and we could of dealt with it better for which we apologise. As Noel has already mentioned, the whole situation is regrettable.

We ALL make mistakes. Charlie has apologised on behalf of the mods. Blister has made his thoughts known. Now lets get back to the friendly banter that most of us are here for .

And with that, it's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back