My prized box of timbers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unib

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd share some photos of one of my prized possessions with you...

This a timber samples box from Fitchett & Woollacott Ltd which I was (sort of) given by my uncle what must have been about 30 years ago. My uncle lived next door to a chap who was some sort of manager at Fitchetts - he gave my uncle the box, I'm not sure why. My uncle then 'lent me' the box when I was about 13/14. He used to always jokingly ask me when he was going to get his box of woods back – my uncle died about 12 years ago so now I think I can safely say it's mine! The sentimental value is what makes it so special to me, along with the memories of how much I loved the box as a kid.

I'm sure it wasn't newly made when I got it so it must date back over 30 years - from a time when we really didn't give a hoot about the rain forests! It's quite amazing that these were all timbers you could buy from the wood yard - all 66 of them. As a kid I learnt all the names and I could just about pick any of the samples out of the box and name what timber it was (I was quite sad and Playstations hadn't been invented!).

The funny thing was, I could never quite work out what the actual box was made of, Sapele I think?!

So here are some pics....

box1.jpg

box4.jpg

box7.jpg

box3.jpg

These were my favourites – I won't tell you what they are, you'll have to have a guess =P~

box5.jpg

box6.jpg

box2.jpg

I still open it up from time to time and have a good look and feel of them - it still smells great when you open it up!

Beutiful box and timbers I too would be proud to win something like that.

As for the timbers, from left to right my guesses would be;

Padauk
Birch
Japanese Oak
Walnut

How did I do?

One right!

deserter":3w3ykjey said:
As for the timbers, from left to right my guesses would be;

Padauk
Birch
Japanese Oak
Walnut

How did I do?

Absolutely stunning....and I think the dark one on the right might be a lignum vitae...probably officiale.

!CEcO,sgCGk~$(KGrHqF,!g0E0fGlM2T6BNR4OGme7w~~_3.JPG

If it smells lovely it probably is....and oily too.

Left is paduck....and I think the second right is zebrano (or is it a rosewood...mmm #-o )?

Jim

So close Jim, so close! That's a nice pile of lignum vitae you have there!
The far left is indeed, paduck, the second one isn't birch or utile. second from right isn't Japanese Oak, Yew or Zebrano, and the end one... isn't lignum vitae... hand on, I've just realised mickythetree got two right, not one! The first one is Paduck and the far right is Rosewood!

Yes...I got a bit confused here and that isn't my LV...someone in the USA selling on FleaBay...shame!

I've seen lighter LV...a bit like the second right...but all confused now...

Is the second left some sort of walnut?

Jim

Ha ha, the second is a sort of walnut =D> and second from right is LV - admittedly it does look lighter than normal!

Darn it, when did I sign up to these competition rules?! #-o
jimi43":30fark68 said:
Do I get to share the box with Mick as a prize then?

:lol:

Jim

I'm a fair man Dick, so if you've got a Holtey smoother (boxwood ideally) I might do you a swap :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":3jz3sm9z said:
dickm":3jz3sm9z said:
Please, I want that box................. :D

You're a Woodworker Dick....

You know the answer! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been reading David Barron's review of that smoother. I am wondering if my plastic will bend that far. It's time I had at least one collectible to hand over to Number One Son! 8)

Wouldchuk":3bc8imdo said:
And on the subject of lignum vitae, £427 for a turning blank....! That's some expensive sawdust...

Goes some way to explaining the attitude of a "flat" woodworker round here, who says he can't understand woodturners "'cos they take pieces of fine, expensive wood and then end up with half of it on the floor!" :shock:

Wow, that's a hefty price. Makes me happier than ever about the tenner I paid for a lump a couple of weeks ago, from a guy who is closing down his timber trade. I made a mallet head for my mate who has just taken up carving...it's an enlarged copy of my turning mentor's mallet (he's heading slowly over to the dark side ;) )

b90e54d5.jpg

The new one is on the left.

Latest posts

Back