My plane blade is too thick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new plane blade for a Norris A51. :D

But I am disappointed :cry: to find that, despite ordering a blade described as "just less that 3/16ths thick", it won't quite exit the mouth.

Anybody know where I can get the thickness reduced by 0.5mm or so ?

Welcome to the forum, Phil. Yep, good surname. :lol: Not sure "too new to gloat" and "Norris A51" quite tally though... :wink:

My non-infill knowledge instinct answer would be to file open the mouth a bit, but I what's the betting that gets a collective intake of breath from Those That Know. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Take it down a local engineering company and get them to surface grind the excess off. Probably do it in a lunch hour for a "couple of drinks" if you know what I mean!

Adam

Told you... :roll:

Edited: in order to ask why? Why would it ruin it? If you make a hash of it, then certainly it would. Infill scrub anyone...? But other than that, is there any reason other than general infill worship and thou shalt not have the presumption to do anything to it?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

I think it reduces your options - even if well done. You will become dependent on blades of the thickness of the present one and a thinner blade will open the mouth too much. I reckon an A5 should have a mouth of around 4-7 thou (blade in place) for best results (some folk would argue smaller I guess).

Based on my (limited) experience of opening plane mouths, I think it is a very difficult thing to do to this kind of accuracy. A good blade is not cheap but still costs less than an A5 so I know which one I would rather mess around with.

waterhead37":nnhygjvf said:
I think it reduces your options - even if well done. You will become dependent on blades of the thickness of the present one and a thinner blade will open the mouth too much.
But why would you be changing blades again? Should last a lifetime. Some other sucker's problem. :wink:

Based on my (limited) experience of opening plane mouths, I think it is a very difficult thing to do to this kind of accuracy.
But apparently that's what people are doing with these infill kits. That's what craftsman X had to do in the first place to fit the original blade. Many people advocate filing the front edge of the mouth (on Bailey's anyway) as a matter of course for a good tune up.

A good blade is not cheap but still costs less than an A5 so I know which one I would rather mess around with.
So it is infill worship then :wink: Sorry, Chris. Nothing personal. Don't know why I've got into this one at all really, except a general irritation with the whole infill thing. Ignore me.

Phil, where did you get the iron from? Brand new? New old stock? Is it actually "just less that 3/16ths thick" as described? If not, as Mike says, have a word with whoever you got if from. Even if it is, there's every chance whoever sold it to you will be reasonable about exchanging it for another (if one is available). Failing that, flog that old Norris and get yourself a nice bevel up...

Cheers, Alf

Off to the bunker :lol:

Phil

One other option is to add a backbevel to the blade. This will enable the blade to fit the mouth (so it does not have to be bigger than needed). The only down side to this suggestion is that you will be able to plane everything under the sun without any tear out, and so will not need to purchase any more smoothing planes. Bummer! Tell you what, I have a great little Stanley #4 here for which we can trade. Onlyused on alternate Sundays by my granny. Let me know.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alf,

To address the infill worship issue; I originally bought this plane (Norris A51 - tough iron smoother http://www.trindersfinetools.co.uk/na615150.jpg) at an auction (in Penzance !) - for a reasonable price. I had intended to try it for just a little while then flog it on Ebay for a small profit and then put that towards an L-N 4 1/2.

The plane came with a tapered Marples iron that didn't bed terribly well and left an uneven mouth. Nevertheless the plane is very heavy and has a lovely balance so I decided to get a good parallel blade and see if I like the plane enough to keep it. (The thought of a collector sticking this plane on a shelf doesn't thrill me)

The blade came from Daryl Hutchison - he recently sold some for £27 on Ebay - and is A2. It's as specified - under 3/16ths - but still is too thick.

Anyway, I've found a local engineering company that will surface grind the blade for me and I will report back in the middle of next week on progress.

I'm signed up for a David Charlesworth tool tuning week at the end of May and have told DC that I will bring this plane with me. If I can't get it up to standard it may go to that collector after all !

cheers
Phil

Phil,
I should be very interested to hear about your experiences with DC. I tried signing up a couple of times for that course a few years ago and each time, missed the boat as they were oversubscribed. I am sure you will find it worthwhile.

Good Surname or what ?":1e9zofpk said:
To address the infill worship issue
No need. I understand, really I do. It seems to be one of those things we all have to go through. Just some people never seem to recover and can get a bit, well, silly about it IMO. Wanting to try one, even owning one doesn't constitute worship. Having one custom-made for you, well that's getting a bit borderline... :wink:

Like Chris, I'd be interested to hear how you get on at DC's.

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Just for you
B0000CCY1P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Do I look like the Scottish RFU...? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Obviously the Scots are having a bad enough afternoon as it is without me adding to it :cry: , so better change that to the Italians...

waterhead37":1dcvhp84 said:
Cross purposes I think - the spoon was your prize for stirring!
Sorry, yes, I had guessed that. :oops: Obviously that wasn't my intention though. No, sir. Who? Me? As if... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

That's not a plane!! That's a battleship! It's even got forward gun turrets... :lol: Bet it weighs a bit. :shock:

Oh, and it's not too shabby to look at either, I s'pose. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Result !!!

For £10, a friendly engineering company surface ground the blade removing a mere 10 thou. I now have a fully functional plane. 8)

Can someone advise of the etiquette of gloating, please ? :wink:

Whoops - the least I can do is give them a plug. Colin Dearlove @ CMD Engineering on 0118 958 5397 (Reading, Berks).

You've already got the right name for MEGA gloating - Phil(ly) :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back