My Pens so far

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks! I've not been well enough to continue and add more yet, but I'm hoping to make a few more over the next week or so now that my workshop isn't being used as a temporary storeroom! (long boring story)

That is one gorgeous looking pen there Dalboy, and you could teach me a thing or two about photography too! What is the kit you've used there? I don't recognise it. And the wood - is that Cocobolo too? The colours look about right if a little on the light side, but the grain looks a little different from any I've seen.

Nic.

nicguthrie":bi20ftoh said:
Thanks folks! I've not been well enough to continue and add more yet, but I'm hoping to make a few more over the next week or so now that my workshop isn't being used as a temporary storeroom! (long boring story)

That is one gorgeous looking pen there Dalboy, and you could teach me a thing or two about photography too! What is the kit you've used there? I don't recognise it. And the wood - is that Cocobolo too? The colours look about right if a little on the light side, but the grain looks a little different from any I've seen.

Nic.

Hi Nic yes it is Cocobolo and the Kit is a Executive Sierra pen kit I got from Timberbits in Australia. As for the photo it was just a piece of sheet layed on the lawn late in the day so the sun came in from the right, I had a piece of log (as you do being a turner) I had laying around. I stood up and then zoomed in which I find better for focus. So nothing special just a little thought for the photo(more than I did for my last piece of turning.

I make a lot of pens & use CA on timber. I always clean my timber with meths spirit to kill any oil or grease on the timber before applying the CA to stop dull spots.

Thanks for the tip Bill, I had the same problem materialise on a cocobolo pen again the other day. I was making it to a deadline and forgot the problem I had last time, or I'd have been prepared. I'll give that a shot next time, does it need quite a soaking, or just a wipe down with the meths?

I'm surprised and somewhat chuffed at all the nice comments - now a couple of months after the first post! I'll have to get cracking and add to my collection sometime :)

Thanks for all the support.

Nic.

A wipe down should be sufficient Nic, i have had the same in the past when using Cocobolo and Bocote on a segmented pen, but i have never had this issue since wiping it with the meths ...

Here is the said pen ...

faded_cocobolo.jpg

Back