My new workshop! Chapter One

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmychip9858

Reaction score
The workshop is a solid and secure unit in the middle of a run of three - I have very nice mechanics either side, who can't even begin to compete with the noise I can make, so we're all happy. It is roughly 12 metres long by 6 metres wide, with a large roller door at one end, and a small access door next to that. There is very little natural light, but plenty of good electric lighting which I plan to supplement. More than half of the space has a height of at least 20 feet, so I plan to build a mezzanine type platform, quite big, which will be used for the paintshop, office and kitchen. I have a good insurance policy, which includes my Public and product liability, and I have added quite a bit of security. There is a 13A circuit, which needs expanding, and a 16A supply, which could be 3-phase but I don't think it necessary. I have a loo and basin, which needs a cubicle, and it will be easy to add an extra sink or two upstairs when the time comes. The floor is concrete. I have access 24/7, and I have run my machinery at one in the morning a couple of times without complaint. The outside yard is more or less surrounded by units housing mostly mechanics and car breakers, so it's all quite scruffy, but a happy and busy place. My workshop is a total and diabolical mess just now, sawdust everywhere, machines placed randomly, boxes still packed, and bits of timber all over the place. I have several jobs on the go, but as soon as they are done in a week or so I will get down to building a proper workshop. I will take a couple of photos tomorrow and post them so you can all see it from the start, and hopefully start giving me some comments. One of my first tasks is to make a decent nameboard and put it over the door. Internet is coming next week. So that's the general picture right now. Next chapter I will list the machinery I already have, plus the various benches/spaces I am planning, and talk a little bit about the layout. A lot of you will know more than me I expect, but hopefully this will help some younger woodworkers, amateur and pro alike - my first workshop was a fraction of the size, with some really crappy machinery, but we all have to start somewhere.

Hello and welcome Jimmy , looking forward to this thread sounds like we are into the same sort of stuff but i work from home. It will be interesting to see your new place take shape.

Cheers Bern :D

+1. I'm still at the 'fraction of the size' workshop stage (almost exactly 1/3 or yours!) albeit very convenient for me. I think 'starting again from scratch' would be high on everyone's wish-list, so also looking forward to this.

Cheers, Pete

Jimmy

Looking forward to this but can I suggest you don't do several threads but keep it all in this one. Does make things easier ti find and I will just subscribe to it and get email updates.

If you do decide to do that then it will either all be 'chapter one', or you can edit the title.

Just a thought but entirely up to you. Others may feel differently as we are all different.

Welcome by the way.

Mick

Back