My New Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big router has four screws in the base - I would like to do some quick-release cam-lock thing for that too, but didn't have the imagination for it last night. - Happy enough just to have it bolted together again for now so that I can do the last ever batch of name plaque things and get onto something more interesting instead like some full-sized furniture.

ah I'm with you, they don't go in there both at the same time, you manually swap them.

I was thinking today how it could a plywood chair. Something like this:

markholmespinch.jpg

In fact it'd be perfect for hardwood chair parts

I'm quite tempted to have a go at doing a high stool so that I've got somewhere to sit in the shed... I was thinking of trying something like the Facet Chair made by 'Unto This Last' ... only higher and without such an angle on the legs.

FacetChairFront%20copy.jpg

I figured I could put it on rollers and use the under-seat bit for storage too.

Probably quicker and easier to make it on the bandsaw.. but where's the fun in that.

Well i'm guessing it'll be a PITA to work it all out and get it to cut exactly how you want it. But the the point, I suppose, is that you can then push out a batch of exactly the same components to make, say, a set of 8 dining chairs or x amount of stools for sale.

For me, chair making is a major plus point for the CNC.

Managed to snatch an hour in the shed this afternoon before all the relatives arrived to put an end to my fun.

Someone somewhere on this thread suggested milling the bed to flatten it - I thought that would be a good test for the new router and the new tool holder.
I was aiming to go 1mm below the old surface of the table... looking good so far...
21032008078.jpg

Dust extraction makes the whole exercise a lot more pleasant - I'll do a review on my new dust extractor in the next few days... I've put it through it's paces for long enough now to decide what I think of it...
21032008080.jpg

The new Triton isn't looking quite so pristine anymore... About time too...
21032008081.jpg

Sorry this one's a bit blurry - All these shots are from my mobile phone and because it's so small i don't always manage to hold it steady... Only about 70% of my shots are worth keeping. There are still a couple of low spots on the bed.. the one at the front is my own fault - I tightened the screw in extra-tight to ensure that the cutter wouldn't hit it - I shouldn't have worried.
21032008083.jpg

I guess I'll take another 0.25mm off next time I get a chance to make it down there.

I've always regarded my 250W bandsaw as rather pathetic, but the last time I was in the shed it actually managed to impress me - Today, I gave it a try on some of the Ipé left from the gate. Amazingly it managed to resaw it so after a little tidying up on the thicknesser I had some stock prepared for more desk name plaques. After thicknessing+sanding the wood was down to 8mm
31032008088.jpg

Rather than cutting the bits up and doing each plaque individually I thought I'd make use of the full length of the machine bed and do them three at a time. Each set of writing is currently taking 50 mins to complete. Although it doesn't look like much, it took around 3 hours to get this lot done. I could probably increase the feed rate but I had a known-good set of settings from last time so didn't want to mess.
31032008090.jpg

3 down (un-sanded), 9 to go. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.
31032008096.jpg

`kin hell Fecn.....judging by the screw in the rail to the right, thats some tiny writng you got there, very impressed, in fact I would say in awe, that "router" of yours impresses me everytime I see you pull something else off with it....... =D> =D>

Today, I got smart. I moved one of the security cameras from the garage to the shed so that I could keep an eye on the machine from the comfort of the office. It is so much nicer than standing around next to the machine all day long and I managed to get all of the backs done by 17:30

The shot below is a picture of a right little trooper. This pointy carbide burr has done all of the cutting for the backs, and it's not even the first time I've used it.
The backs take 50mins each for the machine to do. In total that's 600mins that the tool had to spin for. At 11,000 RPM that means the cutter has spun round a whopping 6,600,000 times. With an average cutting speed of 150mm/min it means the tip of that cutter has made it's way through 90 metres of very hard hardwood. This tip of this poor little cutter is around 0.2mm and has to make over 73,000 cuts just to get through a metre. Carbide sure is tough stuff.
01042008103.jpg

So.. after another 8 hours spinning today, the cutter's work is done (for today).
01042008105.jpg

NeilO":2si5ukhu said:
`kin hell Fecn.....judging by the screw in the rail to the right, thats some tiny writng you got there...

Here's a close-up to give you some idea of scale - I'll sand the backs later tonight to get rid of the rough edges. - Hopefully I've managed to obscure enough of the carving to stop it being an advert. I'm not interested in advertising my company here... but I can't avoid the fact that I'm making these as semi-gifts for my clients.
01042008101.jpg

Today I have also been making a name plate. I used the Milescraft router sign maker. I wasn't impressed and found myself thinking about your CNC. I think the time it takes to setup the milescraft, then move it after every 10 letters, then clean up.. you're much better off doing it your way.

Hi FECN,

Please don't think I'm being picky - you are getting some fantastic results and with making things for your business you will be able to offset the construction and running costs against profits- good move!

However it looks like there are signs of burning on your lettering maybe indicating you could run at higher feed rates perhaps. The cutter should be holding it edge unless you have been doing much work in abrasive timbers such as teak.
Do the slightly furry edges sand off OK?

I keep thinking of converting my milling machine to CNC and engraving will be one application but in metal. Definitely on my round 2 it list.

Keep up the good work and the postings!

Bob

PS Just enough info exposed to track you down but only with a bit of guess work included but I'll keep it under my hat.

I can't say I have ever been so impressed with one man's achievement with having done so much in such a short time is just incredible . Inspiring to the clever one's hereabouts I'm sure .

I had to fast forward to here as I am knackered just with looking at the workrate alone so must have a lie down in the recovery position . What enjoyment your a wizard in your own right . Is it patentable I wonder ?
Cheers !

just catching up with this thread - absolutely awesome.

If i could knock one of these up the boss would worship me for ever and a day as it would totally revolutionise our sign making (we are currently using a tend router graph with okayish results).

unfortunately i dont think my electrickery and computer skills are up to it - maybe when the fecn kit is available....

Thanks guys :)

Wife's parents are down to visit from tomorrow so I'll try to dust off the machine (unused since April) and finish the project that I started... and do something else cool which I've been planning for ages but never got around to.

:D This is amazing. I don't think you realize how clever you are! Absolutely brilliant.
You built it so quickly as well. I'm truly amazed, inspiring! :D :D :idea:

Nick W":626yz7ly said:
When I try to watch the video all I get is the sound. What's wrong?
Don't worry. if you do get the sound, you will only mute it.
The vid is fine but on my laptop the sound was hurting my ears!!!
So I muted it..

Impressive piece of work I have to admit.

John :D

A pity that most photos are no longer available on this thread. :cry:

But even without them, a great informative thread... Great work Fecn =D>

Back