My new push sticks. If you’re using a table saw you need these!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from the thread with regard to removing the guard and the reason why our American cousins do it – it’s because they use a push block with a handle on it, in my view that is extremely dangerous your hands are passing far too close to the blade and often right over the top of it.
Us skinflint Brits have always in the past used two wooden push sticks that take at the most 15 minutes to make with nice rounded handles and a birdsmouth at the dangerous end. Two bits of inch by two softwood at about 15 inches long each. I’ve been using them for 45 years and I’ve never had my fingers anywhere near the danger zone. And they cost next to nothing so what are you waiting for? An accident ? Ian
ECB0AC2E-98C4-4522-945C-3C0FF76E7191.jpeg
5EB24010-D0B2-4899-96C0-DA413BA73F1E.jpeg

Last edited:
My saw came with a nice plastic one that i used as a template to knock up a half dozen wooden copies, takes only a few minutes and apart from the two that are always with the saw the spares are hanging on nail close to the saw ,so if one gets chewed up a little then a replacement is redily available .The fact that push sticks are easily mislaid will i'am sure lead to the " well its only one cut and i will be carefull " mentality rearing its head, so keep a few spare hanging on a nail (y)and keep your nails hanging on your fingers where they belong;)

Yes it’s good to get in the habit of holding them in your hands ready when you turn the machine on. Forgot to mention that my old ones were getting a bit short and the sacrificial ends had been sacrificed so I knocked these up today

It has just been mentioned on the other thread that push sticks should be a minimum of 450 mm long according to the HSE. That’s 17 3/4 inches in old money, I suppose it depends on the size of your machine in industry the blades can be massive and I would want very long sticks to be well away from them. Ian

The figures for people ending up in A&E in the US from table saw accidents are horrendous, figures vary year to year and which survey you look at but they range from 40,000 to 94,000 per year. Including this horrible statistic —10 amputations per day!
C1A05A33-B95B-45ED-A831-4D22836F12E0.png

You can also have a push stick that instead of a v slot, it has a point like a compass point. I've seen these on old hse vids.
Probably made by hammering a nail in the business end, cutting off the head and grinding it to a sharp point. It would certainly be more secure, though will leave a prong mark(Which would probably be thicknessed/planed away)

The figures for people ending up in A&E in the US from table saw accidents are horrendous, figures vary year to year and which survey you look at but they range from 40,000 to 94,000 per year. Including this horrible statistic —10 amputations per day!View attachment 105402
Yes but over 115,000 folks are shot each year over there with over 38,000 of those dying & they seem to accept that & do nothing about it so I doubt they’ll do anything about their god given right to mutilate themselves in their chosen way at the table saw 🤷‍♂️

The figures for people ending up in A&E in the US from table saw accidents are horrendous, figures vary year to year and which survey you look at but they range from 40,000 to 94,000 per year. Including this horrible statistic —10 amputations per day!View attachment 105402
...and depending on your insurance (or lack thereof) they will perform the cheaper operation which may be removal of damaged digit/hand/limb instead of salvage.

Still, roughly one a year gets shot by their dog, they have different values.

Aidan

You can also have a push stick that instead of a v slot, it has a point like a compass point. I've seen these on old hse vids.
Probably made by hammering a nail in the business end, cutting off the head and grinding it to a sharp point. It would certainly be more secure, though will leave a prong mark(Which would probably be thicknessed/planed away)
I don’t think I would recommend that to anybody! Sorry but I think that’s a terrible idea, one slip and you’ve got a nail in amongst your saw teeth, it could fly anywhere and probably take a tooth off. Ian

People sometimes use these for moving off cuts out of the way.

I don’t think I would recommend that to anybody! Sorry but I think that’s a terrible idea, one slip and you’ve got a nail in amongst your saw teeth, it could fly anywhere and probably take a tooth off. Ian
Might not be a tooth from the blade either and a denture might be more expensive than a new blade. ;) Or you could lose an eye or worse, not something I personally would risk.
2 normal pushsticks for me and I have at least half a dozen hanging on the tablesaw and 4 on the bandsaw. I don't bother with fancy shapes just a straight bit of hardwood, (not keen on thin softwood) and birdsmouth on the end. I don't much like plastic ones either as they can shatter if you catch the blade.

People sometimes use these for moving off cuts out of the way.
I think thats what it was being used for in the vid.
Had a look but cant find it, but it was im sure either hse or an old college vid.

HSE says push sticks should be a minimum of 450mm long. Just nipped off and measured mine, they are 560mm.
What are yours ?

I don't much like plastic ones either as they can shatter if you catch the blade.

Do they ? All saws come with them and if they did then the hse wouldnt allow them to be supplied nor sold.
Actually they dont, ive stuffed them into blades loads of times and as with wooden ones, then just cut a slot.
I did have an accidental contact with a wooden one once where it crossed the back of the blade and hit it and smashed up into the guard damaging the guard. moving offcuts out the road. But pushing the push stick into the front of the blade is normal. It's effectively a disposable item.

A plastic guard isnt going to protect anyone if you hit it and it hits the blade, its a misnomer. might buy you a second, but the blade is going to rip right through it.

Last edited:
I like your saw benches any benefit to having one which is wider?

I need to make a couple soon.

Cheers James

Tomorrows subject - Bandsaws.

Ill take it everyone here uses them with a big long open blade :LOL: :LOL:

tsk tsk
They are a lot safer than a TS mainly because you can't lean over, or drop on, to a vertical blade. Biggest hazard I've found is cutting irregular or round objects which can suddenly spin and catch, sometimes wrecking a blade with a great bang. Needless to say has only happened once or twice!

Nothing quite like a snapping blade :LOL: even if its rattling away and you know its about to go, that sudden bang really gives the old ticker a jolt.

I like your saw benches any benefit to having one which is wider?

I need to make a couple soon.

Cheers James
Funnily enough James I made them last week to replace a pair that I’ve had for donkeys years, and I intend to do a WIP on them so watch this space, there is a twist to making them, the benefit is that I use them as step ups as well for decorating etc

Latest posts

Back