My new lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I just thought I would post to let you know that I have just bought an Apollo Professional lathe from a good friend (and mentor) who is upgrading. This came out of the blue and was only possible due to the very good price he has asked for the lathe. I knew that I had outgrown my little Axi AWVSL midi lathe (which I love, but is too small and does not have a moveable headstock) and was thinking about getting a Record CL4, but this lathe is something else again.

Now, I only took up woodturning last Summer and I have been working in a little outbuilding, about 10 'x 5', but my lovely lady wife insisted that I now move into our log cabin in at the bottom of the garden, which is 5m x 4m. I now have everything arranged as I want it , have plenty of space to plan and think and I am really excited to get in and start turning, having spent the day moving stuff from one shed to another. The big lathe swap happens tomorrow when we try very hard to get his lathe up a sloping drive and then down my sloping driv, before going to Chester and doing the same thing in reverse. Happy Summer days!

I'll post some pictures when I can.

Noggsy

Well, both lathes moved. Here are a couple of images (I hope this works);

471d84ba.jpg

8118b0a0.jpg

Cheers Eugene, I've now joined Photobucket and it seems to be working (I was trying to link from Dropbox).

That looks great Noggsy you have enough room there for lodgers , :mrgreen:
Now get in there and mess up the place a bit :lol: :lol:

Nice work area. I am in a shed that's 8x6 :)

Thinking of putting the motorbike in the shed and the lathe in the garage, That will give me a lot more space but my little lathe will be lost in the corner!

Cheers Eugene. I might have to kip in there if MrsNoggsy finds out how much it all cost ;)

Gary, the only answer to that is - buy a bigger lathe!

GaryClaus":59kvaad6 said:
Nice work area. I am in a shed that's 8x6 :)

Thinking of putting the motorbike in the shed and the lathe in the garage, That will give me a lot more space but my little lathe will be lost in the corner!

Give it a few weeks and the mot. bike will be outside under a cover and the second shed will be full .trust me . :roll: :mrgreen:

Cheers, it was built as a music room originally, but we never used it as such, more for storage, so when this lathe came up my lovey lady wife forced me to buy it :). I'm a lucky man. The only down-side is I now have to get the cabin rewired. Anyone go 30 metres of heavy armoured cable lying about? :)

Anyone want to swap a 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 for a humongous lathe? Only worth 2500 quid

Should be able to get a bigun for that!!

Noggsy":1lyg1q5g said:
...I was trying to link from Dropbox.
Photos (or other document types) need to be in your Dropbox Public folder to be able to link to them directly.
The Dropbox alternative is to put a bunch of them in a directory under Photos and then link to that directory for a gallery view.

Shed looks good :)

Cheers for the tip Pete. I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to actually work in there, but it's a great place to sit and think ;)

hi Noggsey great lathe it looks a beast and a great workshop , can you tell me the size of your work shop ,the reason i ask is that iam building my workshop soon and just to some kind of idea on size. regards.

Leptus, no problem. It is 3.9 x 5 metres. Not sure of what you need, but I think you could a lot worse than a decent kit cabin like this. No planning needed (within reason) and very easy to put up. You get a lot of space for your money and they are completely weatherproof. Give me a shout if you're ever in the area and come and have a nosey.

thanks Noggsy for the info i would've loved to come and have a nose arround but the distance forbids. i was thinking on the same line for size but my build is going to be with block work ,i had enough of wooden sheds . after calculation on cost not much diffrence in cost and it will last longer i think in pictures you posted i have almost the same amount of equipment but only one lathe so the size is just right for my garden. now you have to create some shavings and post more photos. best regards

Back