MY NEW LATHE......OBLIGATORY PICTURES NOW ADDED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
.............IS GOING BACK ON TUESDAY!!! :cry:

Totally gutted. It arrived this morning.. out of the blue I might add.. no warning it was in and on it's way

So I spent hours tidying and rearranging my shoebox of a workshop to take it into.
Opened the box and ....................

DSCF9162.jpg

Not a happy bunny

The crack is 2mm thick, and is on both sides of the lathe bed :cry:

I'm not having much luck with new bought lathes at all.
I seriously thought if I buy new...I can't go wrong.... how wrong was I ... 3rd new bought lathe I've returned now in the past year!!

Blister":30p0cnd7 said:
O Dear

Looks like it has suffered a heavy impact

Was the packing box damaged or squashed ?

Don't loose heart as it IS a very good lathe

That's the thing, there wasn't a mark on the outside of the box at all... that's exactly what I thought had caused it.

What a crying shame, and something that really annoys me, just another example of why equipment prices to the consumer are for ever rising, whoever was responsible for that damage has no care for the fact that the consumer will eventually foot the bill in increased product prices to cover such wastage.

Still I suppose the culture of acceptable wastage has the balance between profits and customer dissatisfaction well and truly charted.

As Jonzjob said, at least you have bought from a very reputable supplier who should sort it out fairly quickly but of course that doesn't reduce your disappointment.

Jonzjob":1izqiorj said:
I would think that if you gave them a phone call first thing Monday morning and spoke to the tech guys they will move heaven and earth to get it sorted.

That is an awful situation and their service is normally superb!

I've been on the phone to them this afternoon and the replacement/collection of the dodgey one will be tuesday... a kind neighbour is going to take receipt/collection for me......
Another reason why I went for a saturday delivery... I'm at work all week, but unfortunately they don't collect on saturdays hence the neighbour has to deal with it for me. not ideal

Jonzjob":13h9wxy6 said:
Good luck Melinda! I hope that the replacement is all it is 'cracked' up to be :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Very funny!!! :lol: didn't see that one coming, what a 'cracking joke'

looking at the photo I would think that you should see some deviation in the flat of the bed. It looks fairly straight and I would have thought that if cast iron was to crack that much then it would snap completely.

Do you think this could have been a casting defect especially as the packaging wasn't damaged?

Just a thought

Sue

Sue - the sides of the crack match too well for it to be a casting defect. It looks like a stress crack from the box having been dropped. The weight of the motor on the end makes it an unbalanced structure.

What a really disappointing situtation, all the excitement and anticipation ruined by bad handling.

Commiserations,

mikec

mikec":3fudzyrh said:
What a really disappointing situtation, all the excitement and anticipation ruined by bad handling.

Yes I was some what gutted, with my workshop tidied, and the new chuck played with/jaws fitted, I was ready to tackle the new lathe :cry:

I just don't get how the box wasn't marked.. I'm beginning to think it happened in the maufacturing stage and was repacked, or packed up quick to cover it up! not a nice thought.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!! a kind neighbour is taking delivery of it else it would have been another 2 weeks before I got the replacement

If something as obvious as this can get through the manufacturing, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the quality control. How many not so visible flaws end up on other machines being sold to unsuspecting customers?

Paul Hannaby":2z2o9fei said:
If something as obvious as this can get through the manufacturing, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the quality control. How many not so visible flaws end up on other machines being sold to unsuspecting customers?

whilst some contribution from a manufacturing flaw obviously can't be ruled out based on a photograph I have to agree with mikec's conclusion.

this product may have been rebadged and repackaged, although generally they are manufactured to badge and packaging straight away.

with the weight involved it would be relatively easy for the damage to be caused without localised packaging 'destruction' ie compression over a large flat area associated with where it's on the floor could be all the 'evidence'.

Back