My new Gents saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi woodworker,

I posted this on woodnet, too, but because it is an english saw, I think I may post this here, too.

Together with Alex, a felow woodworker from Hamburg, Klaus and I started to make gents saws. So this is my new saw with a padauk handle and a brass tang – both made by Alex

Blade is 8" long
Cutting depth: 1 1/8"
Blade thickness: 0.012"
Pitch: 18 tpi rip

DSCN0174.JPG

Alex turned the handle and formed the tang:
DSCN0176.JPG

better view on the tang:

DSCN0177.JPG

DSCN0178.JPG

DSCN0179.JPG

Now Alex has to get a saw and than all the other, who wants one. :)

Cheers
Pedder

How does the grip/handle function? It almost looks designed for pulling!

A photo of the saw being held would be most helpful.

BugBear

bugbear":1dq5olvo said:

BugBear

Hi Paul,

really? It is a very classic english form, i thought.

I'll try to make a picture later.

Cheers Pedder

DSCN0177.JPG

Hi Pedder. How is the brass ferrule attached to the brass spine? Is there a rivet though there; are they brazed/soldered together; or is it maybe a friction fit?

Very nice BTW.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2atlqwba said:
DSCN0177.JPG

Hi Pedder. How is the brass ferrule attached to the brass spine? Is there a rivet though there; are they brazed/soldered together; or is it maybe a friction fit?

Very nice BTW.

Cheers, Vann.

Thanks, Vann!

The Spine is a very solid piece of brass and I filed a tang of about 45mm at the end. That tang is glued in the ferrule/handle with epoxy.

Cheers
Pedder

bugbear":3qbtjo4f said:

BugBear

Here you are:

DSCN0184.JPG

DSCN0185.JPG

Hope that helps.

The Saw was made after i get this little gent's saw from a cutomer to sharpen

IMG_0656.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

I too was a bit concerned with the bulbous end, but your photo answers that - it fits the palm! :)

Lovely saw.

Rod

Once again...a masterpiece Pedder....absolute poetry again!

I simply love the handle and the transition between the ferrule and the spline....beautiful.

These are museum pieces in the making....stunning! =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Harbo":xsma054v said:
I too was a bit concerned with the bulbous end, but your photo answers that - it fits the palm! :)

Lovely saw.

Rod

Seconded - and many thanks for taking the trouble to do the photos, Pedder.

BugBear

Very nice indeed Pedder, as always. Do we get a guide price please?? And I assume it's the good old 5 month queue :lol: ... in which case, just tell us to the nearest DMark.

Hi Douglas,

Alex and we are not sure about the price now, because it is only the third saw we've made. Nor do we have decided to make this ferrule or the one we used on Klaus' saw. (Just straight.)

For the moment 110€-125€ is the range. Lot of money for a gents saw, we know, but it takes the time to make.

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder, my wife says it could be my Christmas present (2012 of course, no rush). And I like the first number best. Put me down for one now, before the offer (from wifey) is withdrawn. [You don't want to see wifey's Christmas wish list.]

Serious, start making now. :ho2

Hi,

as Douglas told us, we started to make his saw. Alex will have to wait for his own. :)

Whoever wants to discuss a order, feel free to shoot me a pm or an e-mail.

I'll be off to Stockholm ( and offline therefore) next week.

BTW, this is Klaus' saw. Note the different ferule und curve at the end of the blade.

P1020584.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder... I am embarrassed. Alex has to wait?? That can't be right. I would be happy to let Alex get his first, but as for that Mark Turner... he can wait :wink:
Another thing Pedder - I am trying to promote the humble poor woodworker image here, so don't mention the carcase saw please...

Back